Softpedia Editor's Review for Alcohol 120%
DVD/CD burning and emulation software
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 1st, 2012
Those who are looking for a CD/DVD burning and emulation software are surely aware that their options basically come down to only a handful of applications, each of them with its very own strongpoints. Alcohol 120% is one of such applications that really stands out, due to its comprehensive functions and increasing popularity.
Howeverm installing Alcohol 120% is not exactly a easy task, as the whole process is basically split in two different parts. First, the installer copies a few files on the target computer and requires a reboot - after this, the setup kit continues, offering to install a browser toolbar that the app does not require to run properly. Experts are also to choose the components they want to install, whereas novices are advised to leave the settings the default mode to make sure the software functions correctly once it gets installed.
The interface is well structured, and its numerous features are organized in dedicated tabs on the left side of the main window, while the discs and the virtual drives one is working with are shown in the middle.
To ensure the virtual discs are mounted successfully, Alcohol 120% features several wizard-like guides that are useful to beginners and experts alike when it comes to actions such as image creating and burning, disc copying or drive erasing.
The Settings window is heftier than the one typically included in this type of software, which can only mean the app offers a lot of customization options to its users, and this feature is best exploited by professionals who know how to correctly adjust the emulation settings, the memory buffer size, the virtual drive or the data type parameters.
Even though it supports a limited number of virtual drives, Alcohol 120% can be of great use to novices and experts who want to experiment with such an app. On the downside, this tool needs to be tested and played with during its trial period, after which it needs to be purchased if the user was pleased with its performance.
Alcohol 120% description
Here are some key features of "Alcohol 120%":
· Make perfect 1:1 back-ups of CDs, Alcohol 120% is really the ultimate DVD / CD emulation and burning software.
· Store your most used or important CDs as images on your computer and run them at 200x speed from up to 31 virtual CD or DVD drives!
· Burn more than one CD or DVD at the same time, even from from different sources, using the latest multiple burners technology.
· Highest drive compatibility - Alcohol is compatible with more than 99% of drives available and if it doesn't work with your drive we can improve it so let us know!
· Bypass the latest "unbreakable" protections using Alcohol Software's state of the art burning and emulation process!
· Supports the highest number of possible image file types including - MDS, CCD, BIN, CUE, ISO, CDI, BWT, BWI, BWS, BWA & many more...
· Ultra-responsive industry leading support from our team of software experts
· Intel/AMD based PC
· Windows 95 or Windows NT users, please pay attention as follows:
· Must install Internet Explorer 5.0 or later version
· Window NT 4.0 must update to Service Pack 5 or later version
· Windows 95 must be OSR2 or later version
· 32MB (or more) of RAM
· Internet connection
· 10GB (or more) hard disk (a 74 minute CD image requires 650-700MB)
· One or more bus-mastering SCSI and/or ATAPI buses
· One or more CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives. You can use a CD/DVD recorder as a reader with sufficient hard disk space.
· One or more CD recorders (if you install more than 2 CD recorders, 700MHz CPU and 128MB RAM is recommended).
· One or more DVD recorders (if you want to burn DVD format)
· 15 days trial
· Can only use up to 6 virtual drives instead of 31
· Limited to burning with 2 drives simultaneously
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Support For Windows 8
· Device Support List
· SPTD V1.83
· Device Support List
· A.C.I.D Wizard
· Minor Problems reported by users