Softpedia Editor's Review for Automatic Wallpaper Changer
Changes the desktop wallpaper automatically
Written by Alexandru Teodorovici on November 2nd, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Automatic Wallpaper Changer
If you get tired of viewing the same wallpaper day in and day out and do not want to change your wallpaper manually every time you get bored of it, you may find a solution in a wallpaper changer that can do that for you.
The list of available tools that can be used to change your desktop wallpaper is certainly a large one. Also, they tend to come in two flavors, some of them are paid and some are free of any charge.
Automatic Wallpaper Changer is a simple tool that features an uncomplicated installation process. After you've accessed the user-friendly interface you can start enriching your desktop experience.
The first thing you'll notice is the simplicity in use, as all the most important features are displayed at a mouse click away. You'll be able to add the image folders one at a time, select the position where you want the wallpapers placed and, of course, the amount of time you want to keep an image displayed on your monitor.
Happily, other basic functions are present under the form of buttons. First of all, you will be able to restart the timer or continue from the last pause. It is also possible to change the background manually, clear the desktop or access the Preferences window.
If the features above resemble the default wallpaper changing options found in your system, then you'll be happy to know that the application's true potential lays in the software's Preferences window.
Various image stretching options (best fit, worst fit or full screen) can be accessed from the resizing tab. The transparency level can be adjusted from the tab with the same name. Effects such as brightness, contrast, inversion, or embossing can be applied from the Image Effects window. Note that picture frames can also be applied.
Furthermore, the program is able to support a large number of image formats. The same Preferences window gives you the chance to select the type of files you want to use.
These are just a few of the options included in Automatic Wallpaper Changer, it's up to you to discover the rest.
Automatic Wallpaper Changer description
Here are some key features of "Automatic Wallpaper Changer":
· Select files from multiple directories and their subdirectories if required
· Multiple resizing options: Full Screen, Best Fit and Worst Fit
· When resizing you can pick the method that gives your pictures the best result (Catmull-Rom and Lanczos supported)
· Multi-monitor systems can display the image properly resized on all monitors or display a different image on each monitor
· Tile a background image onto the screen before displaying the wallpaper on top of it
· Enhance brightness, contrast and gamma correction independently from your monitor settings
· Change wallpaper at user defined intervals or once at startup
· Apply various graphic effects when displaying such as invert and emboss
· Use hotkeys to change the desktop on demand
· Check the selected directories to see if any new files have been added and add them to the display list
· Ensure that each image in the list is displayed only once, even across Windows sessions
· Virtually unlimited number of images can be displayed
· Use EXIF orientation flag in photographs to automatically rotate images
· Display the file name on the image
· Filter the files to display by age, date and minimum size
· Multiple tiling options
· Image formats supported are BMP, JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, PCX, TGA, RLE.
· 28 days trial period
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added the ability to specify a file containing an alpha-channel mask to be applied to the main image when it is displayed over the background.
· On XP systems the file open dialog is now forced to open in thumbnail mode when selecting graphic file on the Preferences screen (Background, Picture Frame etc.).
· Added Photoshop (.psd) files to the list of files that can be used as a picture frame. Previously only .png and .gif.
· Bug fix - Start button would sometimes show the word Start instead of Restart even though the timer was running.