Softpedia Editor's Review for Multi Commander
Manage and organize your files
Written by Elena Opris on February 22nd, 2013
Multi Commander is a rich-featured multi-tabbed file manager which intends to replace Windows Explorer. Its extensive range of functions and customizable settings should be appreciated by experienced users who are always looking for new ways to enhance their file navigation experience.
The interface of Multi Commander is represented by two modes; one is similar to Windows Explorer, while the other one resembles Total Commander. The app offers two panes for browsing files and folders, thus giving you the possibility to easily navigate and perform various actions, from standard copying and pasting to more advanced tools, such as file packing and comparison.
As we have mentioned before, Multi Commander supplies users with a wide range of features. For instance, you can manage plugins and extensions (applications, file system, operations, properties), along with a list of aliases for directories, edit buttons, define custom commands (e.g. multi-script, external, batch script), as well as modify keyboard shortcuts for the menu, toolbar, buttons and other areas of Multi Commander.
Additional tools of the software application focus on the Clipboard copying method (e.g. file version, comma-separated list), renaming rules (e.g. uppercase, capitalize), text conversion (e.g. to the Unix, Mac formats), file security (e.g. take ownership) and file backups, just to name a few.
But you can also hide folders, executable files and DLLs, select all images from the current location, access 'Task Manager' straight from the main application window, customize the menu, and calculate checksum values, while you can explore the rest of the list of options.
Multi Commander requires a low-to-moderate amount of system resources, so it shouldn't slow down other currently running processes under normal circumstances. It has a good response time and includes complete user documentation. Although Multi Commander is not oriented toward beginners, the experienced user should be thrilled by the diversity of tools provided by this file manager.
Multi Commander description
Here are some key features of "Multi Commander":
· Tabs allowing you to have multiple folders open.
· Caching that enable fast file browsing.
· Background work for all tasks that takes time to finish, allowing you to continue working without interruptions.
· Customize the layout and colors to fit your styling needs.
· Extensions and plugins that will increase the functionality of Multi Commander.
· FTP, Registry , Zip, 7-Zip, Rar , Tar , GZ , Bz2 , Jar Support
· View and Change file permissions, Take ownership of files.
· Picture tools like Convert / Rotate Pictures, View/Remove EXIF tags, Adjust EXIF Date of pictures.
· Audio tools like View Audio file properties, View/Edit MP3 Tags.
· Open API for developers to create extensions and plugins.
· Remember selections when you get back from another location when browsing the filesystem.
· Use mouse and drag and drop or use quick keyboard command for all the task.
· FileOperations plugins that can automatically sort / unpack files when they are moved or copied.
· File viewer that lets you view files of any size, as ASCII/Unicode/UTF8/Binary and Hex.
· Both 32bit and 64bit versions available.
· Can be installed onto a USB memory device.
· Handle folders with many thousands of files with easy, And use power full filters to limit what you want to view.
· Compare folders and select the files and folders that are different, that are the same and many other options.
· Power full script engine allowing you to create script that automate tasks.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· ADDED - Support for New Langauge - Romanian
· ADDED - Auto expansion of subitems can now be disabled in the FolderTree.
· ADDED - FTP now support UTF8 encoded filenames and UTF8 encoding in the FTP log.
· ADDED - FTP now support context menu. Will for now only show "Edit" for bookmark items and "Disconnect" for ftp items.
· ADDED - MultiRename search and replace part can now be set to only process Name part or Extension part or Both.
· ADDED - Now possible to run file in search result from the context menu.
· ADDED - Now possible to customize the key for the Explorer Panel command "Toggle selection and step down"
· ADDED - Now possible to customize the key for the Explorer Panel command "Toggle selection and calculate folder"
· ADDED - Editing an exiting custom command in the editor. The namespace/function dropdown and description will update to match command
· ADDED - CustomCommand MC.Explorer.Selection.Select now support option ONLYFILES / ONLYFOLDERS (Works in all panel types)
· ADDED - CustomComman...
| ||Softpedia guarantees that Multi Commander 3.1.0 Build 1401 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |