Softpedia Editor's Review for Q-Dir
A really good file manager and explorer
Written by Bogdan Popa on April 24th, 2012
Windows Explorer is undoubtedly an old-school application and although many users still rely on it, one way or another it is continuously losing ground in favor of more advanced file managers.
Q-Dir is one of those alternatives, as this application has been specifically developed to serve as a replacement for the default Windows file management utility. This tool allows users to browse up to four locations in the same time.
Its interface is extremely simple and intuitive and although it has the same context menus as Windows Explorer, it's still impressively easy to work with multiple files. Dragging and dropping from one window to another allows you to copy a file in a second.
Q-Dir also supports tabbed browsing, which means one of the panels can open multiple folders at the same time and organize them in tabs, in the same way Internet browsers do with webpages. Plus, it has several extras, thus allowing you to customize the application a little bit, especially when it comes to layout and the way it looks.
Speaking of customization, Q-Dir comes with a rich settings menu, with numerous options regarding the colors, the navigation and the inside views. The extensive configuration options allow you to adjust in great detail the way in which the software operates.
Just as expected, Q-Dir runs pretty smoothly and won't stress the CPU or the RAM, so it can easily work on older computers too. A great thing about it that it has a 'Portable installation' mode that makes is suitable for an USB flash drive so you can use it wherever you go.
All in all, Q-Dir is a nice replacement for the popular Windows Explorer, so if you're looking into ways to increase productivity, this might be one of the easiest path to achieve your goal.
Here are some key features of "Q-Dir":
· Favorites: Quick access to most often used folders.
· Drag&Drop: Move files by dragging in Q-views, and other programs such as MS Explorer.
· Clipboard: Copy/ Paste between the Q-Dir directory views, and other programs such as MS Explorer.
· Folder-Type: ZIP-, FTP-,cabinet-,network-, system - folders, shortcuts ...
· Views: Large icons, tiles, list, detail, thumbnail (Vista: extra large symbols) .
· Export: to XLS, CSV, TXT, HTML.
· Popup Menus: Desktop, My Computer.
· Screen magnifier: anything on the screen can be enlarged.
· Color Filter: Different colors for different item types (e.g. *.log;*.txt).
· Highlight-Filter: Effective way for fast items highlighting.
· File-Filter: Allows for quick and easy filtering of the items.
· Columns: All columns support, and save function .
· Quick-Link's: For fast folder access.
· Folder-Select: Fast & flexible folder selection address-bar/ desktop menu/ my-computer menu/...
· Multi-INI: Several INI files for Q-Dir.
· Tree-View: Simple and quadruple.
· Preview: Allows a quick preview
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Autocomplete (auto-completion) filter entries can be deleted.
· Update of the language files in Q-Dir.