Softpedia Editor's Review for XYplorer
Tabbed dual pane file manager with strong file search and preview
Written by Elena Opris on April 19th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for XYplorer
XYplorer is a file managing system that comes with a user-friendly interface and supports multiple tabs.
The application is similar to Windows Explorer, so you shouldn't have any problems in getting around its features.
So, you can open a location in a new tab or pane, copy a selected row to clipboard and renames files in several ways (e.g. batch, set extension, edit item names).
In addition, you can move, copy or backup files and folders, open an item with command-line arguments, create shortcuts, wipe files, swap names and set the modified date to the current one.
But you can also preview and compare files, use the undo, redo and search functions, check out an action log, configure a selection filter (wildcard patterns or a regular expression) and look for templates.
On top of that, you can sort items according to various parameters (e.g. attributes, comments), customize columns, iconize and rename tabs, lock the tree, calculate folder sizes, create a favorites list, add and edit tags, manage user-defined commands, run scripts, toggle the active pane, and more.
The program takes up low system resources, supports keyboard shortcuts, includes a comprehensive help file and has an excellent response time. We haven't encountered any problems. All in all, it seems that XYplorer comes bundled with all the right functions (and more) for a file manager. We strongly recommend it to all users, regardless of their experience level.
Here are some key features of "XYplorer":
· Searches in Tabs: You often search your system for files added in the last 24 hours? You quickly need a list of all text files containing your name? Let a "finding tab" do this or any other search job at a single click!
· The Address Bar accepts not just folders, but also files, URLs, and search terms. Yes, you can enter search patterns directly into the Address Bar. Simply put "?" between location and search pattern (Boolean operators and Regular Expressions allowed).
· The Tree and List offer a suite of unique highlighting options to increase visual grip. Highlight Folder, Boxed Branch, Favorite Folder Bold, Highlight Focused Row, Highlight Sorted Column, Colored Grid, ... all colors are fully customizable.
· Find Files: XYplorer features a high-end search engine with tremendous power and amazing speed. It fully supports Boolean Logic, advanced pattern matching, Regular Expressions, Boolean RegExp (the Boolean combination of any number of Regular Expressions), whole word and fuzzy matching, content search (look for text strings inside files, wildcards supported), multiple location search, a Duplicate File Finder, and much more
· Configurable Toolbar: A configurable toolbar where most buttons have a specific right-click menu. Additionally many buttons feature a dropdown menu
· Floating Preview: The Floating Preview, quickly toggled by F11, shows the current file in a non-modal preview window whose size and absolute screen position is stored between sessions. It supports all types of images, and snapshot previews for HTML, PDF, MPEG, DWG, etc., everything your system can generate thumbnails for. Resizing the window resizes the preview in real time
· Minimal Hardware: 100 MHz Pentium, 32MB RAM
· Monitor: A monitor resolution of at least 800x600 pixels is recommended
· 30 day trial period.
· Initial nag screen.
· Image preview has "Trial Version" printed in top-left corner.
· The main window's titlebar cannot be customized.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Now you can display the three file times (created, modified, accessed) with milliseconds precision.
· Time stamping now supports milliseconds precision.
· Reporting now supports milliseconds precision.
· Now XYplorer will smoothly handle files with a space at end of the filename. This is illegal under Windows but you can get such a file via download from the web. Windows Explorer and other file managers cannot handle this and you are stuck with a file that cannot be renamed nor deleted.