Softpedia Editor's Review for Google Chrome
A browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology
Written by Bogdan Popa on January 30th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Google Chrome
For a long time, the fight for the supremacy of the browser kingdom has involved just two major players: Mozilla's Firefox and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, each trying to attract more users with their functionality. However, the search engine giant Google has decided to enter the battle with its very own solution: Google Chrome.
Since its launch in 2008, Google’s browser has quickly attracted attention and users no longer install it only to check out a new app, since it already showed that it can be just as stable and feature-packed as the dedicated browsers.
Installation is extremely easy due to the simple setup pack that makes the whole task just a matter of clicking “Next” a few times, along with some options that are far from complicated.
The interface is clean and pleasant, but those who do not really like it can easily apply themes, so that every one can bring their very own touch to an otherwise static app. Being focused on leaving the user plenty of room for viewing the visited webpage, the interface is kept as minimalistic as possible, with the address bar featuring all the buttons one might require for navigation.
Another way to customize Google Chrome and make it more suitable to one's needs is to install extensions – Google has created a comprehensive Webstore for these extensions, where users can find basically any type of app or extension, ranging from education to games, lifestyle and blogging.
A novelty introduced by Google Chrome is the fact that when the user visits more than a single website, more processes are started, so that if one of the webpages crashes, the user can simply terminate its tab (and implicitly its process), without closing the whole browser.
Also, this browser places a lot of emphasis on user privacy, so the Incognito Mode was created. It allows users to explore the Internet the usual way, but when the app is closed, it automatically erases all cookies and history it may have created, thus ensuring one's privacy is maintained.
The freeware license and the frequent updates convince more and more users to take this browser into consideration. Designed with simplicity in mind, it is an easy to use app that can become a powerful package if the user chooses to install add-ons. This makes it the perfect browser basically for every type of user out there.
Google Chrome description
Here are some key features of "Google Chrome":
· Speed: Fast to launch, fast to load web pages
· Quick to start up from your desktop
· Loads web pages in a snap
· Runs web applications faster than ever
· Simplicity: Designed for efficiency and ease of use
· Search and navigate to web pages from the same box
· Arrange and organize tabs however you wish — quickly and easily
· Get to your favorite websites with just a click, from the thumbnails of your most visited sites in the New Tab page
· Style: Themes to add delight to your browser
· Try Minimalist, Star Gazing, or Google Chrome Artist Themes.
· One box for everything
· New Tab page
· Application shortcuts
· Dynamic tabs
· Crash control
· Incognito mode
· Safe browsing
· Instant bookmarks
· Importing settings
· Simpler downloads
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
This automatic update includes security fixes. We’d like to highlight the following fixes for various reasons (crediting external researchers, issuing rewards, or highlighting particularly interesting issues):
·  Medium CVE-2013-2866: Clickjacking in the Flash plug-in.
This build also has fixes to the following issues:
· Multiple flash movies on one page not playing [Issue: 243290]
· Arc rendering bug in canvas [Issue: 243996]
· Select box with Multiple option fires Onchange event on scroll [Issue: 244406]