Softpedia Editor's Review for Opera Web Browser
One of the fastest, smallest and smartest full-featured web browser
Written by Bogdan Popa on January 19th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Opera Web Browser
The main concern regarding web browsers is speed. Even though Internet connections get faster every day, this still remains the essential and most debated topic when it comes down to web browser preferences. The next matter in hand is the stability and security provided by that favorite application. While Opera is not everyone's pick, Chrome and Firefox fight for supremacy against Internet Explorer.
Things change when looking at mobile browser charts, as Opera Mini tops their ranks. Switching back to the desktop version, it may look as Opera can never compete with these browsers when it comes to usage statistics. Where it can compete though is real-life, day-by-day web browsing. The real test would be to take a number of fans of each browser and measure their stress levels as they surf the Internet.
Opera has a pretty sleek and attractive interface, although users can get a lot more thanks to the built-in theme support that allows them to download themes with a single click. In addition to that, you can also change the color scheme, just to be sure everything matches your preferences. While it doesn't fancy the number of add-ons that Firefox possesses, Opera provides support for extensions.
One interesting feature that might set Opera apart from competition is called Opera Turbo and is specifically designed to help load webpages faster. Especially designed for those with slow Internet connections, this particular function compresses webpages and reduces loading times, thus the browser downloads smaller files.
Opera is one feature packed web browser right out of the box. It sports tabbed browsing, integrated search engine, a password manager and even functions such as mouse gestures and voice interaction. With this particular web browser, users can quickly set up their mail accounts and RSS feeds for easy access to the things they need inside the same application.
Opera packs one of the best feature set, making web navigation faster and quite a pleasure. It does not require a certain level of Internet-related knowledge as many would think and brings the necessary bundle of protection against pop-ups and other online malware. You can be sure that you just discovered a new option when picking your favorite browser. In the end, it's just a matter of taste.
Opera Web Browser description
Here are some key features of "Opera Web Browser":
· Now you have a new way to access your favorite Web sites. Just open a new tab to get your Speed Dial. It's easy to populate and addictive to use.
· You don't need a separate BitTorrent application to download large files. Simply click a torrent link and start the download.
· Want to view a site in a different way or deny certain cookies? Want to block pop-ups on certain sites only? Right click and select "Edit site preferences".
· It is easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover your mouse on any tab to see a thumbnail preview.
· Opera's advanced fraud protection protects you against web sites that try to steal your personal information.
Add your favorite search engines:
· Right-click on the site's search field and select "Create search" from the menu.
· Small Web applications (multimedia, newsfeeds, games and more) that make your desktop experience more fun. Use the Widgets menu to discover new widgets and access your favorites.
· View download progress and access all your downloads from one simple transfer manager window.
· The password manager remembers your usernames and passwords so you will not have to.
· Opera supports mouse gestures, allowing you to perform certain movements with the mouse to access commonly used features.
· Notes can be kept in conjunction with a Web site you want to refer to later, or remind you of any particular information you may like to review again.
· Keyboard shortcuts - like mouse gestures - make your browsing faster and more efficient. Read more about all the keyboard shortcuts in Opera.
· Surf the Web easier and faster by opening multiple Web pages within the same application window
· Search Google, eBay, Amazon and more with our integrated search field. You can also search directly in the address field using keywords
· Fast Forward will detect the most likely "next page" link and greatly simplify navigation in multi-page documents such as search results and image galleries.
· The voice feature allows you to control Opera's interface by talking and to have documents read aloud. Voice is currently offered in English
· The F11 key toggles Opera's projection mode, using the whole screen for browsing and, if a projection style sheet is present, displays 'slides' suitable for presentation.
· Opera supports kiosk mode - a lock-down mode in which the browser can be used for unattended computers in public places.
· Our built-in POP/IMAP E-mail client is a combined e-mail program, news reader, mailing list organizer and RSS/Atom newsfeed reader.
· We take pride in supporting all major Web standards currently in use, including CSS 2.1, XHTML 1.1, HTML 4.01, WML 2.0, ECMAScript, DOM 2 and SVG 1.1 basic.
· Pentium II
· 128 MB of RAM
· 30 MB of free disk space
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Add POST method to search engines
· The badge separator needs to extend 1px upwards on Mac
· Text shadow below the background tab label is too strong on Mac
· Window frame is lacking top highlight on Mac
· Refine the Downloads popup on Windows
· Parts of button in certificate /auth dialog is transparent making mouse clicks work only with pixel precise clicks
· All Menu got black background after changing Windows Classic Theme
· Long file name is not supported in popup download manager / open folder icon
· Use cursor pointer on stash items
· Favicons for search providers aren't fetched when missing
· Badge should drag page's link
· Favicon doesn't change into tab close button
· Automatically closing drop down in Manage exceptions in Settings
· Hovered tab has a 1px transparent right border on Windows
· In fullscreen, closing inline find toolbar with Mouse closes Opera
· Pages loaded in the background have viewport size set to 0,0
· [Windows] Restarting downloads is not working in native manager and has wrong icon