Softpedia Editor's Review for Internet Download Manager
Schedule, resume and accelerate downloads by up to 5 times with this very good accelerator
Written by Bogdan Popa on December 17th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Internet Download Manager
NOTE: After the installation process, in order to get the latest version (build) of IDM you can use the automatic update function of the software.
Internet Download Manager is a powerful file transfer manager that promises to accelerate downloads by up to 5 times. In addition, the application can also restart interrupted downloads and integrate into a large number of browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera.
Internet Download Manager's interface is clean and well-organized, with large, stylish buttons that facilitate the management of the files in process. It is a great organizer too, as every single download can be moved into a different folder, depending on its type. Plus, it has a rich settings menu where you can change the way the program handles certain file formats or the default download locations.
We tried the quick update function too, which worked like a breeze and basically updated the application with just a single click. It all came down to choosing whether to update or not, and the whole job was done by the integrated updater that automatically downloaded the new files and installed them on the computer.
The application encases all the features specific to a decent download manager, including drag and drop support, a task scheduler, virus protection, queue processor, HTTPS support, progressive downloading with quotas, command line parameters, sounds, ZIP preview and proxy servers.
The tests revealed that the CPU and memory footprint is minimal, but this also depends on the download speed and the overall size of the file.
Internet Download Manager is a must have application for many users out there. It will prove itself essential for users who download large files on a regular basis.
Internet Download Manager description
Here are some key features of "Internet Download Manager":
· All popular browsers and applications are supported! Internet Download Manager supports all versions of popular browsers, and can be integrated into any 3rd party Internet applications.
· Download with one click. When you click on a download link in a browser, IDM will take over the download and accelerate it. IDM supports HTTP, FTP and HTTPS protocols.
· Download Speed. Internet Download Manager can accelerate downloads by up to 5 times due to its intelligent dynamic file segmentation technology.
· Download Resume. Internet Download Manager will resume unfinished download from the place where they left off.
· Simple installation wizard. Quick and easy installation program will make necessary settings for you, and check your connection at the end to ensure trouble free installation of Internet Download Manager
· Automatic Antivirus checking. Antivirus checking makes your downloads free from viruses and trojans.
· Advanced Browser Integration. When enabled, the feature can be used to catch any download from any application. None of download managers have this feature.
· Built-in Scheduler. Internet Download Manager can connect to the Internet at a set time, download the files you want, disconnect, or shut down your computer when it's done.
· IDM supports many types of proxy servers. For example, IDM works with Microsoft ISA, and FTP proxy servers.
· IDM supports main authentication protocols: Basic, Negotiate, NTLM, and Keberos. Thus IDM can access many Internet and proxy servers using login name and password.
· Download All feature. IDM can add all downloads linked to the current page. It's easy to download multiple files with this feature.
· Customizable Interface. You may choose the order, and what buttons and columns appear on the main IDM window.
· Download Categories. Internet Download Manager can be used to organize downloads automatically using defined download categories.
· Quick Update Feature. Quick update may check for new versions of IDM and update IDM once per week.
· Download limits. Progressive downloading with quotas feature. The feature is useful for connections that use some kind of fair access policy (or FAP) like Direcway, Direct PC, Hughes, etc.
· Drag and Drop. You may simply drag and drop links to IDM, and drag and drop complete files out of Internet Download Manager.
· IDM is multilingual. IDM is translated to Arabic, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Thai languages.
· 30 days trial period
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added a workaround for youtube changes