Softpedia Editor's Review for Vuze
A Java based BitTorrent client
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 7th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Vuze
The Bittorrent protocol is very popular nowadays with more and more users choosing this file sharing method because of the advantages it brings in speed and functionality. That’s the main reason why the software market has now to offer a lot of dedicated clients, more or less efficient, designed to help users download files at impressive speeds.
Vuze, formerly known as Azureus, is a bit different. It is a Java-based Bittorrent client, which means you’re going to need the Java Runtime Environment to run it, but this doesn't make it less powerful than the majority of similar tools.
Installation may take a while, especially if you choose to customize it, but either way you should be careful and note the third-party software that comes bundled with the setup.
Getting past the installer, you’ll have the chance to discover a rather pleasant and modern looking interface. Although it’s full of powerful features, Vuze provides a nice way to interact with them, grouping them all in a separate list.
All downloads are listed upfront in the main screen, just like it happens with many other Bittorrent clients. If you need to find some specific torrent, Vuze comes with a powerful search function also easily accessible via the main window.
The list of settings you can customize is quite impressive as you will discover when entering the 'Options' area. Vuze enables you to configure settings regarding the connection, transfer, files, interface, plugins, security or connected devices.
Since it’s based on Java, the application works a bit slower than the rest of the pack, trailing behind other Bittorrent clients, as we found out during out test. Also the download speed doesn't always match that of similar programs.
With a solid feature pack and great ease of use Vuze earns a spot among the best BitTorrent clients out there. It is still very popular among the users of the peer-to-peer file sharing protocol so you can give it a try to see it it fits your bill.
Here are some key features of "Vuze":
· Multiple torrent downloads
· Upload and download speed limiting, both globally and per torrent
· Advanced seeding rules
· Adjustable disk cache
· Only uses one port for all the torrents
· UPnP sets the forward on your router
· Can use a proxy, for both tracker and peer communications
· Fast resume
· Can set a default download dir and move completed files
· Can import torrents automatically from a set dir
· Highly customizable interface
· IRC plugin included for quick help
· Embedded tracker, host your own torrents, automate your shares (periodic scanning of a dir)...
· Distributed Hash Table: host on it a completely decentralised torrent and/or benefit from it when the tracker is offline.
· Java Runtime Environment
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed the Twitter plugin
· Fixed bug with auto-backup and advanced stats plugin lock
· Brazilian Portuguese language update
· Updated location provider database and added Serbian flags
· Various bits of support for next version of Vuze Web Remote
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function