This application is among the top players in this particular category, but it still struggles to face the competition and meet the highest user expectations. Just like all the other BitTorrent clients, its main purpose is to download files at very high speeds and it achieves this successfully. What sets it apart from similar clients is its stability, the support for HTTP/FTP, torrent exchange and anonymous downloads.
Familiar GUI, schedule the PC to shutdown and use a bandwidth scheduler
The interface does not have an original design, so to say, as it resembles a great deal to other torrent clients. However, using it is not rocket science if you are accustomed with BitTorrent clients.
Feature highlights include multi-mirror and multi-section downloading, quick resume, bandwidth scheduler, a dedicated tool to shutdown computer after the download is completed, Intelligent Disk Cache and Intelligent Connection Optimization.
Prioritize segments, share torrents and schedule downloads
One of the most appreciated upsides of this client is that it allows you to prioritize the first and the last segments of media files, so you can preview them before the download is completed.
With Bitcomet, you can share your torrent files with other users via a searchable P2P network, a feature called Torrent Exchange. Bitcomet also has support for anonymous downloads through a paid VIP feature, thus preventing others from monitoring your file transfers.
Other features can be enabled or tweaked from the Options section. From here, you can configure settings related to proxy, download task, long-term seeding, integration with Internet Explorer and Firefox, integrated virus scan, download scheduler and remote downloading.
Performance and conclusion
Leaving all these things aside, BitComet seems to work just like other similar tools, although during our tests it proved a bit heavy on computer resources every time we downloaded files at high speeds. It however comes with speed limiters, so you can rest assured that computer performance won't be affected too much when downloading files.
Overall, BitComet still seems to struggle to reach the elite of this software category. Even though it sports a number of unique features, a slightly friendlier approach would definitely give it a boost.
Reviewed by Bogdan Popa on July 4th, 2014
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
- GUI Improved: add download speed/progress graph in task summary pane
- GUI Improved: add download size in total, upload size in total, torrent create time in task list, hidden by default
- GUI Improved: display new finished tasks in bold
- GUI Improved: display proxy server connection errors in task log
Application descriptionBitComet is a BitTorrent / HTTP / FTP download management tool, which is powerful, fast and very easy-to-use. It conta...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
- Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime
- Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
- Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
- Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function
- At program startup/shutdown, opens web pages featuring advertising or similar income generating content