Softpedia Editor's Review for Ad-Aware Pro Security
Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus in One Seamless Application
Written by Elena Opris on March 29th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Ad-Aware Pro Security
Power users are aware that their computer might not be completely safe from malware threats even if they have a correctly-configured antivirus solution on their PC. Occasionally, anti-spyware software can make the difference between a clean computer and an infected one.
Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro is an efficient and flexible anti-malware software that works as an anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-rootkit. The software uses minimal computer resources, and has various features, including product skins and plug-ins.
The installation process takes little time, and it is recommended to perform the first initial update; once these tasks are completed, the software welcomes you with a user-friendly and straightforward interface in Simple Mode. There are four tabs, each of them with clearly explained instructions, as well as an Advanced Mode for experienced users that can be used to customize settings for each option and analyze the scan results.
Ad-Watch Live! is a real-time monitor that offers protection against malicious files and processes (also on computer start-up), Windows registry protection, and it stops your computer from connecting to blacklisted IP addresses (as classified by Lavasoft).
The scanning system has three options - Smart Scan (a fast system check that runs through only the most critical system sections), Profile Scan (scans your system by using pre-configured settings), and Full scan.
The Extras section is the place where you can find several utilities that can further boost the performance of your PC. TrackSweep is a simple software that clears the traces left behind when using a web browser - cache, cookies, history, last typed URL, tabs, and it works with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome.
Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro also comes with a Process Watch, AutoStart Manager and Hosts File Editor, and each of them can be used by experts to optimize a computer.
All in all, Lavasoft Ad-Aware may not be the most famous anti-malware software out there, but it is certainly competitive on the Internet security software market.
Ad-Aware Pro Security description
Here are some key features of "Ad-Aware Pro Security":
Advanced Two-Way Firewall:
· Keep the bad guys out and your personal data in.
· Protection against the most hardened malware.
· Protect yourself and your friends when sending emails.
External Storage Scan:
· Automatically scan USB drives or memory keys against malware.
Safely Shop and Bank Online:
· Get complete peace of mind when shopping or banking.
Stay Safe on Social Networks:
· Real-time protection for you and your friends.
· It’s a superfast antivirus that complements our legendary anti-spyware.
Enhanced Real-Time Protection:
· Immediately detect malware before it harms your PC.
· Play your games and watch your movies without being disturbed.
Behavior-Based Heuristics Detection:
· Block unknown and emerging threats before they harm you.
Malware Sandbox Emulator:
· Rapidly analyze malware in a virtual environment.
· Processor: P600 MHz or better
· RAM: Operating system + 100 MB
· Hard Disk: 100 MB free space recommended
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Better malware detection & faster scanning
· Improved compatibility when using other antivirus software (On-Demand Compatibility Mode)
· New Simplified Chinese language added
· Improved installation process
· Minor cosmetic & compatibility fixes
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function