Softpedia Editor's Review for Ad Muncher
Powerful advert and popup blocking system for all browsers
Written by Bogdan Popa on December 4th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Ad Muncher
Most browsers available today come with built-in ad and pop-up blockers, so why use a different application for this purpose? Well, because Ad Muncher has so many features that it's undoubtedly able to make the whole browsing experience a lot more pleasant.
The application is able to filter website data and block unwanted content, regardless if we're referring to advertisements, links, images, sounds or various scripts.
Ad Muncher runs separately but integrates perfectly into most browsers, including Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera and Mozilla Firefox, creating a special context menu option to block content on the fly.
Right clicking on a website gives you the power to block a given link, an image, a whole frame or disable filters on the entire page. In addition, there's a special option to report the page and thus help the developer make the app better in the next releases.
The configuration screen, on the other hand, allows you to remove music and sound, background images, colored scroll bars, bookmark scripts, automatic reloads, window resizing, browser status bar changes and even address icons.
Of course, you can configure the way the application handles advertisements, so there's an option to leave small text-only adverts alone and replace removed images with a description of the image.
Ad Muncher is impressively easy to use, but it has so many features that you may spend even a half an hour setting it up. After that though, you will definitely know that no advertisement or popup will ever see daylight on your computer.
So all in all, given how many features it boasts, Ad Muncher seems to be just the right way to improve the browsing experience.
Ad Muncher description
Here are some key features of "Ad Muncher":
· Blocks adverts in all browsers.
· Blocks unwanted popups in all browsers.
· Blocks adverts in programs like ICQ, Morpheus, Kazaa, Grokster, Opera, PalTalk, iMesh, Bearshare, LimeWire, etc.
· Speeds up page loading, thanks to the missing adverts and popups.
· Blocks many annoying site behaviors.
· Filters quickly and reliably, thanks to six years of constant development and feedback from users.
· Includes extensive options for those who like to tinker, allowing you to remove anything that annoys you.
· Pentium 60MHz
· 32 MB RAM
· 2 MB disk space
· 30-days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The biggest new feature in v4.93 is the new Ad Muncher Toolbar. This is normally hidden to avoid annoyance, but can be shown by holding CTRL or SHIFT and right-clicking on a filtered page. You'll then see options to exclude or report the page, as well as an option to munch specific content.
· You can also see when popups have been blocked, and easily open them if needed. CTRL or SHIFT + Right click on a filtered page = This toolbar removes the need for the old browser-specific extensions, and in future will make it much easier to provide functionality on other platforms.
· The filter list in v4.93 has undergone some extremely significant reworking. This includes literally thousands of bug fixes, and new filters for a huge number of new ad types.
· The filtering engine itself has also received many improvements, and combined with the new list users should notice a much improved browsing experience.