Softpedia Editor's Review for Returnil System Safe Free 2011
Welcome to the next generation of PC security
Written by Olivian Puha on October 31st, 2011
Computer protection is an important matter that should be addressed by all users as realistically and seriously as possible. With so many malware threats out there, one should get the best protection available to keep viruses at bay.
Usually it's recommended to have more than one security product onto your PC, to be more precise, you should install, besides the main antivirus, a firewall and /or an antispyware utility. In doing so, you will enlarge the protection spectrum and target several types of threats in the same time.
A combination of the above can be found, nonetheless, under the same umbrella and this is the case of Returnil System Safe. The free version is designed for non-commercial, personal home use and packs quite a punch when it comes to repelling a variety of menaces.
The installation procedure is easygoing so you'll be facing the really nice and well organized GUI in a few moments. The software provides you with three weapons you can use against malware assaults: a powerful and easily configurable antivirus module, a virtual mode, similar to a sandbox that allows you to run applications in an isolated environment and, finally, a facility for restoring your system with a few clicks.
Besides the user-friendly interface, there is a handy desktop toolbar (that can be easily deactivated) offering quick access to the main features of the application. All the components work together to ensure you are working in a secure environment and in case a virus infection does occur, it will be promptly identified and removed.
The first component, called 'Virus Guard', is designed to offer real-time detection and block any suspicious activity, but you can also use to scan specific areas of your computer. The detection is pretty accurate, as we noticed during our tests, the application instantly detecting the virus samples we used. The recommendation is to perform regular scans, especially after the antivirus module receives an update.
Enabling the 'Virtual Mode' will allow you to work in a clone of your operating system and any changes you make while in this environment can be discarded by restarting your PC. An interesting feature we found in this module is the ability to save 'trusted' files and even directories to the real disk using a dedicated 'File Manager'. However, in the free version of Returnil System Safe this is disabled, just as the entire 'System Restore' module is, both requiring a purchased Pro license.
The configurations you can perform are detailed, enabling you to quickly select the 'Virus Guard' scan sensitivity and parameters, 'Virtual Mode' protection and behavior functions. The 'Preferences' window will give you instant access to GUI-related customizations, password protection options and even remote control settings.
As a supplemental layer of security, Returnil System Safe does a very good job and is easy enough to understand and use, so less-experienced users can really enjoy it.
Returnil System Safe Free 2011 description
Here are some key features of "Returnil System Safe Free 2011":
· Keeps your computer safe when browsing the Internet and working in the cloud
· Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Adware, Spyware, Keyloggers, Rootkits, unwanted content, and unwise configuration changes disappear with a simple reboot
· Enforces settings and protects your Internet privacy
· Saves you time and money, by maintaining or improving peak computer performance
· Reduces or eliminates the need for routine maintenance, cleaning, and disk de-fragmentation of your system partition
· Protects you from the consequences of opening infected e-mail and/or attachments
· Leaves absolutely no traces of computer activity
· Eliminates all activities even if your computer is powered-off or crashes
· Eliminates the danger of evaluating new software
· Offers stronger, simpler and smarter protection for your PC
· Seamless integration with supported Windows Operating Systems
· Easy to use, simple to configure, and the one tool in your arsenal that will be there to save the day when all else fails!
· Hard drive: Twice the available RAM (Recommended is 16GB)
· Windows XP (32-bit/64-bit): 300 MHz or higher CPU (processor), 128 MB of RAM (memory)
· Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit): 800 MHz or higher CPU (processor), 512 MB of RAM (memory) - with Aero desktop; 1 GB of RAM (memory) - with Aero desktop
· Windows Server 2003 (32-bit/64-bit): 750 MHz or higher CPU (processor), 128 MB of RAM (memory)
· Windows Server 2008 (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz or higher CPU (processor), 512 MB of RAM (memory)
· Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz or higher CPU (processor), 1 GB of RAM (memory)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved malware detection mechanism
· Optimized memory consumption and fixed some memory leaks
· Rare GUI related crash issues on some systems fixed
· Multi-disk Virtualization support added for non-system disks & partitions
· Fixed 'Phantom drive' issue
· Corrected: processing of snapshots on Windows Server 2008
· Updated Chinese Taiwan translation
· Updated Japanese translation
| ||Softpedia guarantees that Returnil System Safe Free 2011 3.2.12918.5857-REL14 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |