logFACES Enterprise Logging Suite description
A professional suite for software integrations
logFACES Enterprise Logging Suite is composed by two applications which deal with software integrations, testing, field support or development, should find this product very useful. LogFaces is an out-of-the-box solution built on top of Apache Logging Services.
With the help of logFACES Enterprise Logging Suite you have the possibility to find problems instantly, get notified in real-time when the system has issues and improve collaboration by sharing log information.
There are three players - your system, logFaces Server and logFaces Clients. It works like this, your system sends log data to the logFaces Server using the appenders we provide.
The server collects and routes this data to interested clients in the form that they define. The only requirement is to produce log in the format understood by the logFaces Server, which is currently Apache log4xxx API's schema. In the future we are planning to extend this format to alow other source types but today log4xxx API's are the de-facto standards in software development and most systems already support them. In such cases the integration is straightforward and is only a matter of simple configuration.
There is a lighter version of logFaces which involves only two players - your system and logFaces Client directly. In this configuration the client runs a small embedded server inside. This variation is available as a Personal Edition for those who only need real-time viewer and typically don't require multi-user environment and database storage.
Here are some key features of "logFACES Enterprise Logging Suite":
Out-of-the-box log server:
· Everything you need regarding log data collection is centralized in one place. logFaces Server can serve a single application or a whole office running magnitude of applications on different machines. System is platform-independent due to its Java nature, currently available on Win32 and Linux gtk x86 platforms.
Non-intrusive integration with existing systems:
· If your system is already using the Apache Logging Services, the integration is a matter of specifying an appender in your configuration. We use plain TCP and UDP sockets to receive logging streams from any number of hosts. Tested with numerous J2EE, C++ and Microsoft© .NET Framework-based applications.
· Server can be accessed by multiple remote clients for viewing log data in real time or doing historical queries. Clients communicate with Server over HTTP which allows them to be outside the office and still have a relatively simple access to the data.
Rich client for stream views and queries:
· logFaces Client is an Eclipse™ type applications. Users create views of the log stream coming through the Server which we call log perspectives. Perspectives are filters telling server what to dispatch to a certain client. They can overlap, meaning that different users can see the same or partially overlapped data streams in real time. It is also possible to receive an audible chime when errors occur. Client allows flexible database queries, search and drill downs.
· logFaces comes out-of-the-box with its own embedded database requiring zero administration. Log events going through the server are organized for database queries. You can specify which events should or shouldn't be persisted, and for how many days you would like keep the data.
External database support:
· For larger installations, logFaces Server can be integrated with external database. Major database brands are supported. Version 2.x is tested with MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and Apache Derby. In the future we're planning to extend this list. See user manual for more details.
Log files on-demand:
· Once in the database, log events can be retrieved with various queries and saved to files. This is very handy, because you don't have to worry about log files anymore. You can get them any time and you can do it remotely. The format of the log files and the time zones can be adjusted.
Scheduled email reports:
· logFaces can do scheduled reporting - an email with a log file constructed by your rules. All you need to do is to specify what to include in the log file and how to schedule it.
· logFaces Server is administered remotely using a conventional browser. This covers most of the administration tasks such as specifying ports for your applications, size of the database, scheduling reports, installing the license or checking the status. More advanced configuration activities are described in user manual.
Automatic software updates:
· logFaces Client updates are automated, whenever there is a fix or new version release, you're updated automatically or you can invoke the update yourself.
· (logFaces Server auto-updates will be released in later versions.)
· If anyone can be firewall friendly with plain HTTP, then logFaces is firewall friendly. logFaces Server has embedded HTTP server for communicating with clients and for accessing administration console.
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· In clients, display separate data table when doing fast fetch queries
· Upgrade - c3p0:JDBC DataSources/Resource Pools promoted to the latest released v0.9.2.1
· Bug - in server, the receivers accepted connections threads had a wrong names
· Bug - in server, disabled reports kept sending emails
· Bug - in server admin database tab when used with mongodb and replica sets, the web page displays only first connection point
· Bug - in clients the distribution view didn't get updated when data tables get updated
· Bug - in client counter view, the criteria created using tags didn't get persisted
· Bug - in client when importing backup files some file extensions caused NPE
· Bug - in API remove session timeout to prevent long lasting calls to server to except
· Bug - in admin saving ssl settings wasn't applied correctly