Softpedia Editor's Review for Active WebCam
Performs live recording that allows rewind and playback captured content at any time
Written by Alexandru Teodorovici on November 28th, 2011
Webcam recording software comes in all shapes and sizes. Some are designed with one specific purpose in mind, and others are developed as multi-purpose software.
Active WebCam is designed as a complete app that is able to record and broadcast videos, from pretty much all kind of video devices (analog cameras, TV-boards, network cameras, USB cameras, camcorders, etc.).
First of all, you have to know that the user interface of the program is very easy-to-use and displays all the most important options in the main window. It also offers the possibility to control and preview your camera from the main window, select the camera you want to use from the thumbnail camera bar, and of course, view the current state of the device.
More than that, Active WebCam comes with a couple of other features that are supposed to make the user really stick to the software.
For example, the software is able to stream your recording to a web server. Basically, the program sends the recorded video and audio to the developer's web server. Thus, the video stream can be accessed from any location in the world through a web browser.
Remote Access is also made available, so that you can access your broadcasting computer from any other computer. However, you do require another copy of Active WebCam on your remote computer in order to have the access you want.
More than that, if you want to upload your captured data to your website, then you can use the FTP upload method.
Another feature that might come in handy is video conversion. So if you're unsatisfied with the AWLive format, you can choose to convert your videos into AVIs or MPEGs with just a couple of mouse clicks.
It is worth mentioning that various video editing options are also present in the program, and, if you want to capture an image, then you can also take quick snapshots.
Active WebCam can be an excellent solution if you want to record videos or use it as a surveillance application for different environments.
Active WebCam description
Here are some key features of "Active WebCam":
· Works with all USB and Parallel Port cameras, Windows compatible Capture Devices and Framegrabbers, TV-boards, and with Network IP Cameras.
· Broadcasts live video up to 30 frames per second.
· Multiple cameras support. Simultaneous recording and broadcasting from unlimited number of cameras.
· Dynamic IP Service, that gives a permanent internet address to your web camera whenever IP of your computer changes.
· Time stamps captured video.
· Broadcasts audio.
· Supports Encrypted Transmission.
· Records password protected video clips.
· Performs Live Recording that allows rewind and playback captured content at any time.
· Has features to control camera's Pan, Tilt, and Zoom.
· Helps you to create web page for your web camera.
· Records video when a motion is detected.
· Allows to view recorded video remotely.
· Sends you e-mail when motion detected.
· Runs a program when a motion is detected.
· Allows to define the active area for motion detection.
· Creates thumbnails from captured images.
· Has a comprehensive scheduler.
· Checks the available space on hard drive and stops recording if there is no available space.
· User name and password to control access to your camera and recorded videos from Internet.
· Has feature to limit number of camera viewers.
· Stealth mode makes the program completely invisible that it doesn't display any icon in the sys tool tray and it is not presented in the task bar tray.
· Password protection from unauthorized usage.
· Ability to run the program as Windows service that the program starts automatically at system boot and executes even when no user is logged on to the system.
· Intel Pentium 2 GHz or better
· 256MB RAM (512 MB recommended)
· 1 GB hard disk space
· Color monitor
· Mouse or other pointing device
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New version designed for Windows 7