Softpedia Editor's Review for Nexus Root Toolkit
Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified
Written by Andreea Matei on December 11th, 2012
Nexus Root Toolkit is an application designed for the Nexus series of Samsung smart phones. Its purpose is to unlock, root and relock devices, as well as flash stock Android releases. All of these operations cause complete data loss, and as such, Nexus Root Toolkit also provides possibilities to backup content prior to performing any change.
Requirements include owning a Nexus device and a great deal of knowledge about the above mentioned terms. If this is your first time unlocking and rooting an Android phone, we warmly suggest that you prepare thoroughly (there are plenty of explanations and tutorials on the Internet).
We can, however, draw a general picture of what rooting means. This operation is designed to modify your mobile device and to offer you complete control over it. In other words, it removes limitations imposed by the manufacturers and provides you with complete privileges. A huge downside is that a rooting operation gone bad stands the risk of bricking your device, damaging it and voiding its warranty.
However, Nexus Root Toolkit is said to have a good success rate, judging by user opinions we found on forums. Compared with other rooting methods, it’s simpler and more accessible to the everyday user, not to mention that every step of the process is accompanied by tips and warnings.
The device needs to be plugged in order for the operations to start successfully. A quick start wizard allows you to select the phone model together with the Android version you’re running. The next step is absolutely mandatory if you wish to preserve your phone data and includes a complete backup of all data and settings. Once this is accomplished, you can proceed to the Initial Setup – driver installation and configuration. A quick test confirms that your phone is ready, after which you may explore the perks of the software.
The list of operations that you can try out includes unlocking the device, rooting (these two operations completely wipe all the data on the device), back to stock (unroots the device – restores original limitations) and relocking (fully return to factory settings). The Options section allows you to disable messages, to set file associations and additional recovery settings.
All in all, Nexus Root Toolkit has built a decent reputation for itself. It supports a wide range of Nexus phones, comprises a rich help file and most importantly, backs up your data in case of unfortunate scenarios.
Nexus Root Toolkit description
Here are some key features of "Nexus Root Toolkit":
Supported Nexus devices:
· Galaxy Nexus: GSM Models (both yakju and non-yakju builds)
· Galaxy Nexus: CDMA/LTE Verizon Models
· Galaxy Nexus: CDMA/LTE Sprint Models
· Nexus S: Worldwide, i9020t and i9023 Models
· Nexus S: 850MHz, i9020a Models
· Nexus S: Korea, m200 Models
· Nexus S 4G: d720 Models
· Nexus 7, 7 3G: Asus Tablet
· Nexus 10: Samsung Tablet
· Nexus 4: LG Phone
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Full 4.2.2 support for all the supported Nexus devices.
· Dynamic tooltips throughout the entire program – in an attempt to help answer questions before they are asked, I spent a lot of time creating mouse-over tooltips to help explain every button, option, and checkbox.
· The tooltips are ‘dynamic’ in that they change depending on what options you currently have selected, meaning they will provide the most relevant information for the task you are about to perform.
· Added a new script in advanced utilities called ‘Sideload Update’ for automating adb sideloading of update zip packages (ota zips).
· Added a new script in advanced utilities called ‘Restore Stock Kernel’ for providing an automated procedure for first testing a stock kernel and then flashing it – this script will restore the stock android kernel specific to your device and build.
· Added a new button in advanced utilities which launches a brand new interface built for automating logcat/bugreport file generation.
· The new logcat fi...