Softpedia Editor's Review for MediaMonkey
The media manager for serious collectors. Tag, sync, & convert music & video.
Written by Elena Opris on October 29th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for MediaMonkey
MediaMonkey is a nifty application designed to keep track of your albums and to play, burn, tag, and organize music supported by the most popular audio formats. It uses tagging to catalog your music, so you can quickly locate any song.
The user interface needs some time to get used to, but after a while it does seem to be pretty well organized and even if it hosts a lot of functions, each of them is neatly placed and can be accessed effortlessly.
Party Mode is a feature of MediaMonkey that prevents any modifications to your files, or to the software configuration, while Sleep mode allows you to configure the time to play the songs, whether to shut down the program at the end, or gradually fade the volume.
You can organize files in many categories that include Music, Podcast, Playlists, Media Servers, and Net Radio (access to SHOUTcast and Icecast radio).
Track managing has many useful features such as editing track properties and album information, album art, auto-tag from filename, converting formats, and others. In addition, you can burn an audio CD, data CD/DVD/BD, or erase rewritable discs.
The Options menu has countless settings customizations you can use to modify the application and configure supported extensions, plugins, downloads, file tagging and a lot more, all designed to fit the needs and requirements of the more demanding users.
To sum things up, MediaMonkey is a complete audio management solution that provides everything one would need to organize a vast music collection. Besides the playback capabilities and numerous configuration possibilities, this program supports Winamp plugins and comes with a most useful CD/DVD ripper and burner.
Here are some key features of "MediaMonkey":
· A Library which tracks all of the music on your hard drive or on CDs that you own
· Automatically updates based on changes to your music (Gold)
· Automatically update audio CD/track information from Amazon and Freedb
· Organizes music by different attributes, and provides powerful search facilities
· Finds Tracks with problems such as duplicate titles, duplicate content, missing tags
· Allows you to easily update properties, and tag your music using industry-standard formats (ID3v1&v2, OGG, WMA, APE2)
Allows you to edit many tracks at once:
· Automatically organize and rename files on your hard disk based on the music's properties
· Automatically and intelligently tag files based on filenames
· Advanced, intuitive playlist management
· Import and export M3U playlists
· Drag and drop tracks to rapidly create playlists
· Automatically update playlists in response to tracks that have been moved
· Organize playlists hierarchically
· AutoPlaylists to dynamically create mixes based on predefined criteria
· High-quality audio playback (MP3, WMA, OGG, MPC, APE, etc.)
· Supports Winamp-compatible input/output plug-ins to enable add-on functionality
· Supports Winamp-compatible DSP effects such as DFX, for improved audio
· Supports Visualization plug-ins for funky visual effects that match your music
· Includes a 10 band equalizer to customize your audio experience
· Levels Volume so that you no longer have to adjust the volume knob up and down when music has been recorded at different levels
· Integrates with Winamp 2.x if you're used to Winamp as a player and MediaMonkey as your organizer
· Synchronizes your music with your portable audio devices
Encoding into various formats (OGG, MP3, WMA, WAV) so that you can easily add music to your collection:
· Rips audio CD content to your hard drive, with jitter correction for troublesome CDs
· Converts from one audio format to another
· Import/Export songs from external sources with ease, using the Virtual CD (Gold)
· Generate previews - short 20-40kb samples of songs to help qualify unknown music (Gold)
· Burn Audio CDs.
· Sound Card
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Pause/Resume doesn't continue downloading Podcast episode in same physical file
· Headers in option menus show 3-pixel white artifact
· SDBDownloader - new scripting methods
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime