Softpedia Editor's Review for SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder
Record streaming audio from your computer to either wav or mp3 formats
Written by Sorin Cirneala on March 11th, 2013
SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder is an easy to use tool for the users who want to record the sound being played through their computer. Whether it is a radio broadcast or a movie soundtrack, the app allows you to capture the audio and save it locally as MP3 or WAV files.
The program has a simple interface that allows you to view when the program is receiving an audio stream and to start recording. You can also check the microphone input and include it into the recorded audio file.
You can also use the app to record conferences or VoIP conversations since it can record both the output and the input directly from the sound card. If you frequently use this type of communication and need to record the conversations, SoundTap can help.
The output files are saved to a user-defined location and the encoder parameters can be defined according to your preferences. Thus, you can adjust the bitrate or the encoding mode in order to make sure that the sound quality matches the audio content.
The application is optimized for several programs such as BroadWave, Express Talk VoIP or Skype in order to record their audio output. It can also use the VRS Recording System and is able to send the recordings to a VSR server by using the proper credentials.
During our tests, the program recorded the audio output without requiring significant resources. It had no impact on the other programs even when recording from both speakers and the microphone.
If you need to record a radio show or a Skype conversation, the SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder can help you convert the output to audio files for later playback. Although it prompts you to install third party software you can opt out during the installation.
SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder description
Here are some key features of "SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder":
· Recording internet radio and other streaming audio.
· Recording of VoIP calls, softphones or instant messaging audio by companies for legal reasons.
· Converting audio recorded in 'proprietary' audio formats to wav or mp3. As long as you have a player, you can use this software to convert the file.
· Streaming audio conference recorder.
· Most media players can be recorded.
· Records any sound you can play on your PC.
· Lets you listen as you record (optional).
· Records what is being input into the PC at the same time (optional). This is useful for recording voip calls. * Saves files in wav or mp3 format with a wide range of selected codec and compression options.
· Recordings can be searched easily by date, time, duration or format.
· Directly links to the WavePad Sound Editor Software so you can edit the files you have recorded.
· Directly links to the Switch Mp3 File Converter Software so you can convert the files from mp3 to over 20 other file formats if you need it in another format.
· Directly links to the Express Burn CD Burner Software to record to CD.
· Very easy to install and use
· For technical reasons Windows 2000 only supports recording what you play not the input side.
· Audio prompting to register on all recordings
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Vista driver support
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function