Softpedia Editor's Review for AIMP
Play your music and listen to radio
Written by Elena Opris on March 6th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for AIMP
Each person has their own likes and dislikes, and the same applies to PC users and their software: while some are satisfied with a certain application, others might require different functions or prefer a simpler interface. When it comes to audio players, everyone is bound to find the one that suits their needs perfectly. And for some, AIMP is the solution.
After extracting the files, users need to choose the installation mode they want: portable version (for removable devices) or custom version (recommended), in a single user or multi user mode. The entire pack contains main components, skins, visualizations, input plugins, additional components (e.g. audio library, Internet radio browser, the Last.FM plugin), and languages. One can choose between full, lite, minimal and custom installation.
To ensure AIMP is seamlessly integrated within Windows, users can automatically associate the software with audio and playlist formats on the PC, as well as add a menu item to the context menu of Windows Explorer.
At first sight, the overall text and graphics might seem to be a bit tiny, considering the latest trends in software technology (with big icons, text, images etc), however after spending some time using AIMP, this is no longer an issue.
The interface somewhat resembles Winamp's, so that the playlist is visible, while the actual audio player and the visualization section are in the upper side of the window. Within the playlist, users get the possibility to rate their songs according to their tastes.
Unlike other applications dedicated to audio playback, AIMP comes with an auto-shutdown feature, an alarm clock, a quick search for songs, and the possibility to add songs as bookmarks. Furthermore, users can customize the hot keys if they are not satisfied with the default ones.
The quality of sound is pretty good, especially considering AIMP supports a wide range of formats, including but not limited to OGG, MP3, WMA, WAV, and others. Typically, the software runs smoothly and the CPU usage is kept to a minimum.
In a nutshell, AIMP can easily become the favorite audio player on one's computer, due to the numerous features it brings, the intuitive interface and customizable settings.
Here are some key features of "AIMP":
· .CDA, .AAC, .AC3, .APE, .DTS, .FLAC, .IT, .MIDI, .MO3, .MOD, .M4A, .M4B, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3, .MPC, .MTM, .OFR, .OGG, .OPUS, .RMI, .S3M, .SPX, .TAK, .TTA, .UMX, .WAV, .WMA, .WV, .XM
· DirectSound / ASIO / WASAPI / WASAPI Exclusive
18-band equalizer and built-in sound effects:
· Reverb, Flanger, Chorus, Pitch, Tempo, Echo, Speed, Bass, Enhancer, Voice Remover
· 32-bit audio processing
Work with multiple playlists:
· While one plays - you work with another
· Creating bookmarks and playback queue
· CUE Sheets supports
· Support for plugins
· LastFM Scrobbler
· Multi-user mode support
· Multilanguage interface
· Files search
· Multithreading encoding
· Few encoding modes - Single source - single result / All sources - single result (with ability to generate CUE Sheet)
· Encode to APE, MP3, FLAC, OGG, WAV, WMA, MusePack and WavPack formats
· CD Grabber
· An ability to change format of input audio streamа
· Shut down the computer after conversion operation
Popular formats of tags are supported:
· ID3v1, ID3v2, APE, Vorbis, WMA, M4A
· Work with group of files
· Naming and sorting files by folder according to specified template
· Calculation of ReplayGain information for single track / album / group of albums
· Auto filling tags based on name of file
· Listen internet-radio stations in OGG / WAV / MP3 / AAC / AAC+ formats
· Capture stream to APE, FLAC, OGG, WAV, WV, WMA and MP3 formats
· Capture stream as is for MP3 / AAC / AAC+ formats
Online Radio Browser:
· View catalog of Icecast service
· Alarm Clock
· Auto shutdown the computer
· Sound Card
· DirectX 8.1 or above
· 3 Mb of free HDD space
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Common: Performance has been increased
· Common: Added support of long pathname (more than 260 characters), only for Windows Vista and newer
· Common: Added an ability to split files by chapters (OGG, OPS, M4A and M4B are supported)
· Sound Engine: Added support for i32v24 sample format
· Sound Engine: Equalizer has been improved - now all frequencies are processed between sliders
· Skin Engine: Potential abilities are extended
· Skin Engine: An ability to dock window to the top and bottom screen edges
· Player: a list of supported hot keys has been extended
· Player: Equalizer settings has been added to the DSP Manager dialog
· Player: Now files merge into one queue, when send it to a removable device
· Player: The queue of shuffle playback is now stored on the application closing
· Player: Playlist tab hint now contains information about playlist content
· Player: Managing Playlists - added an ability to browse content of closed playlist (with search ability)
· Audio Converter: Added an ability to save path...