Softpedia Editor's Review for ArtRage Studio Pro
Paint, Sketch and Draw With Tools You Already Know How to Use!
Written by Andreea Matei on October 27th, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for ArtRage Studio Pro
Natural born artists prefer painting on canvas rather than on a computer, because the precision of their hand can never be equaled by software solutions. Still, there are a few tools you could try if you decide to take up oil painting as a hobby. We recommend ArtRage Studio Pro, an application that features all the drawing tools the average user needs to outrank sketches created with Paint or similar software.
ArtRage Studio Pro makes an impression starting with its interface, which has a professional look, but manages to keep things simple and all the features within reach at the same time. It uses menus to categorize all of its functions, but the brushes, colors and layers are visible and accessible at all times.
The application allows you to import images for further processing, but starting a painting from scratch is also possible. In order to make you feel like a real artist, it provides a satisfactory palette of oils, watercolors and pens, as well as special effects tools such as sticker sprays or glitter tubes.
Layers are easy to create, edit and blend and can be categorized into groups for easier management. You can blur layers individually or adjust their appearance (brightness, contrast, hue and color) to your own taste.
The rich collection of stencils, rulers and shapes ensures full precision for your paintings, while the wide range of stickers helps in designing scrapbooks, for instance.
ArtRage Studio Pro allows you to draw images in tracing mode, which means you will be able to guide your painting by an existing photo. Another method to keep you inspired it to use a reference image, which will be pinned to the drawing canvas.
Among other features worth mentioning, there is the intuitive color and tone picker that has great precision, the wide range of canvas presets and the ability to export to popular image formats (PNG, JPG, BMP, TIFF), as well as the famous PSD Photoshop format.
ArtRage Studio Pro is easy to work with and encases the decent amount of graphic tools in order to make your images look artistic and professional. It can transform a regular photo into an oil painting that will impress even the pickiest of artists.
ArtRage Studio Pro description
Here are some key features of "ArtRage Studio Pro":
- Oil Brush, Pencils, Chalks, Felt Pen, Palette Knife, and other tools.
- Unlimited Layers and Layer Groups, with Layer Blend Modes.
- Tracing Images and Reference Images for assistance while painting.
- Stencils for masking and freehand line and curve construction.
- Additional tool features such as wet blenders and feathered selection.
- Inbuilt Color Adjustment and Blur, with support for Photoshop Filters.
- Unfixed post-editable sticker spray, and custom sticker sheet creation.
- Real Color Blending.
- Tint/Tone color pickers and quick acess popup color pickers.
- 1GHz processor (Intel/AMD)
- 1024 x 768 graphic
- 512 MB Mem
- 200 MB disk free
- 30 days trial period
- Has limited ability to add user resources
- Demo watermark on the exported images
- Users of multiprocessor or multicore machines will see substantial speed increases when using version 3.5. Multithreading support has been added to the tools and many of the processor intensive functions in the application.
- Package Files:
- Package Files make the process of sharing custom content like stickers, presets and stencils easy. The Package system lets you gather together as many custom resources as you like and compress them in to an easy to use data file that can be shared with other users and installed with a double click.
- Double click and ArtRage extracts and installs the contents of the Package automatically to the user content folders without you having to lift a finger.
- Installed Packages save a receipt which allows easy uninstallation or repair at a later date.
- (Studio Pro) Create your own Package Files, and add author notes and a preview image to personalize it before distribution.
- (Studio Pro) Save out partially completed Package Files to ...