Softpedia Editor's Review for PhotoScape
A nice photo editing software
Written by Elena Opris on March 21st, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for PhotoScape
Most image editors can’t compete with the sharks in the image editing category. As a consequence, they prefer to pack the basic features without sacrificing ease of use, which results in a large crowd of fans.
PhotoScape belongs to this category, bundled with the most common image manipulation tools, while preserving a fun and accessible environment. In terms of functionality, the application performs regular photo enhancements, such as resizing, graphic effects, crop, printing and GIF animations.
The first encounter with PhotoScape is pleasant to say the least. The menu is structured in a circle with animated icons that stand for different modules. These include a viewer, editor, batch editor, page creator, image combiner, GIF animation, printer, splitter, screen capture, color picker, RAW converter, photo renamer, and paper print. All these titles are at least self-explanatory.
In addition, you can develop photographs from an online studio, and find similar faces on the Internet (including but not limited to celebrities).
So, here's what you can do: combine photos to create a single one, slice an image into several pieces, capture a screenshot (which is no different from Print Screen), batch edit a bunch of photos, use the editor to create special effects (e.g. red eye correction, mole removal, paint brush), and several others.
PhotoScape is fun to work with although it doesn’t bring outstanding or unseen features to the table (except the face search feature). You can spend quality time with it when you need to make small changes and don't want to burden yourself with heavier software. It’s recommended especially for beginners, but professionals can still rely on it for some of the most basic image editing capabilities.
Here are some key features of "PhotoScape":
· Batch editor: Batch edit multiple photos
· Page: Merge multiple photos on the page frame to create one final photo
· Combine: Attach multiple photos vertically or horizontally to create one final photo
· Animated GIF: Use multiple photos to create a final animated photo
· Print: Print portrait shots, carte de visites(CDV), passport photos
· Splitter: Slice a photo into several pieces
· Screen Capture: Capture your screenshot and save it
· Color Picker: Zoom in on images, search and pick a color
· Rename: Change photo file names in batch mode
· Raw Converter: Convert RAW to JPG
· Paper Print: Print lined, graph, music and calendar paper
· Face Search: Find similar faces on the Internet
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· "Blur - High", "Jitter" Effect Brushes added (Editor -> Tools -> Effect Brush)
· Mirror function added in Picture > Clipart Object
· Filter (antique01, antique02) added in Editor > Filter > Antique Photo
· Frame (antique Photo 01, 02) added in Editor > Frame
· The filename extension bug occurring in some PCs when saving a JPG file fixed
· Function Exif improved
· No longer Photo Development Service with FOTO.COM
· Some bugs fixed
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (Google Toolbar, Google Chrome) that the program does not require to fully function