Softpedia Editor's Review for ACDSee
Organize your photos and enhance them on the go
Written by Elena Opris on September 18th, 2012
ACDSee is a complex, multi-purpose application that serves for viewing, organizing and editing images and digital photos. Furthermore, photos can be shared on social websites or your own space on the developer’s website.
The interface of ACDSee 14 is quite different from older in the good way. Navigating and editing pictures is so much easier now, and its response time is much faster. You are welcomed by four tabs - Manage, View, Edit, and Online.
In the Manage tab you select the images you want to view and edit. Labeling them is also possible, in order to prioritize files and easily spot them in folders. If you select an image without a label and switch to View mode, ACDSee will throw in all images found in the same folder as the one selected by you.
You can also import image files from external drives, batch convert, rotate or resize them, instantly create a slideshow, rate images, and others.
The Edit section is the one that encourages your creativity. Here you can perform photo corrections, such as red-eye and blemish removal and color adjustments for a natural look. Special effects include a wide selection of artistic filters that you can instantly test on the image, thanks to thumbnail preview. You can give your images a special touch with the aid of the built-in frames and borders.
The Online panel makes it easy to share your work. You can publish your projects to ACDSee Online platform and from here, to social websites. If you’re a Flickr or SmugMug user, sharing can be done from the Manager section via dedicated plugins.
All in all, ACDSee makes quite the image enhancer. There are upsides such as the image displaying speed (it’s outstanding for large files), but there are downsides as well, such as the complicated sharing process.
Here are some key features of "ACDSee":
· Stay on top of your growing photo collection with all the time-saving tools you need in one easy-to-use product. Unlike other photo software, ACDSee doesn't impose a one-size-fits-all system. Manage your photos the way that works best for you, so you stay in control.
· Spend more time enjoying your photos instead of waiting for them to open. ACDSee's viewing speed is second to none because there is no need to import your photos; ACDSee lets you work with them directly from their original locations. Review your latest shots, browse instant slide shows, and enjoy full-size previews. Any way you look at it, ACDSee works fast.
· ACDSee has everything you need to make your photos look their very best. Go ahead and inspire yourself with easy-to-use, professional caliber editing tools and special effects. Your originals are always preserved, so you can go back and start over again anytime. Now that's worry-free editing!
· Simply drag and drop files from ACDSee to your free account on ACDSeeOnline.com. Keep your photos private, create public albums to showcase to the world, or share via email or social media.
· Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon processor or equivalent (Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon XP or equivalent recommended)
· 512 MB RAM (1 GB RAM recommended)
· 310 MB free hard drive space (1 GB recommended)
· High Color display adapter at 1024 x 768 resolution (1280 x 1024 recommended)
· CD/DVD Burner - for creating CDs and DVDs
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 7+
· Microsoft DirectX 9.0c
· Ghostscript 8.0 - for PDF support
· Windows Media Player 9.0
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Organize your collection with hierarchical keywords that help you sort your photos better than ever before. For instance, let's say you create a keyword tree that looks like this: Events | Local | Birthdays. You can then assign a photo from last week's birthday celebration to the Birthdays keyword with the check of a box, and it implicitly gets added to the higher level keywords too. You can create as many levels as you want, and display all of the photos you've tagged with that keyword in one click. It's sorting, supersized!
Easily brush on edits:
· Want to soften only a face and not the entire photo? The Edit Brush makes it super easy and fast to apply any editing effect to a specific part of your photo. Choose your brush size and the amount of feathering to help you achieve exactly the look you want.
· Use the Smart Blur filter to blur areas of little or no detail while still maintaining the sharpness and important details of your photo. T...