Softpedia Editor's Review for Faststone Image Viewer
An image browser, viewer, converter and editor with an easy to use interface
Written by Elena Opris on November 23rd, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Faststone Image Viewer
Faststone Image Viewer is a tool you can use to browse for pictures, view, edit and convert them, whether you are a novice or experienced user.
The program supports many common image formats, such as JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF, and PSD, and it can also save images in Portable Document Format.
Once the quick installation finishes, you can meet the Windows Explorer-based interface, so navigating in Faststone Image Viewer is easily accomplished.
When you locate a folder with images, you can quickly glance at its content in the form of thumbnails and double-clicking automatically opens them in full screen. Here you receive a useful tip that says you can access various features by moving the mouse cursor to each edge of the screen.
In the lower part of the GUI you can find the control bar and use an image navigator as well as perform quick actions (e.g. resize, crop, clone and heal, adjust lighting, rotate, screen capture).
The right border of the screen grants you access to file properties, such as EXIF metadata, histogram, and general information.
The top margin enables a thumbnail browser window in order to offer you quick access to other images found in the same folder, but you can also use other functions (e.g. create a slideshow).
Finally, in the left border of the screen, a panel pops up, where you can quickly access file and image editing functions, such as rotation, resize and text (e.g. red eye removal), colors (e.g. auto-adjust, adjust curves, sharpen or blur), and effects (e.g. frame mask, border effects, bump map, oil painting).
Furthermore, if you hold down the left button of the mouse on the image, its size changes to full mode and you can easily move inside it.
All these functions are also accessible from the main interface. Additionally, Faststone Image Viewer supports file tagging, creating and organizing favorites, building or splitting files with multiple pages of images (in PDF, TIFF or animated GIF), batch-converting images, and more.
We have not encountered problems while testing it. The software uses a small amount of system memory so the conclusion is that Faststone Image Viewer certainly deserves at least a try.
Faststone Image Viewer description
Here are some key features of "Faststone Image Viewer":
· Image browser and viewer with a familiar Windows Explorer-like user interface
· True Full Screen viewer with image zoom support and unique fly-out menu panels
· Crystal-clear and customizable one-click image magnifier
· Superior Red-Eye effect removal/reduction with completely natural looking end result
· Image modification tools: Resize/resample, rotate/flip, crop, sharpen/blur, brightness/contrast, etc.
· Eleven (yes, 11) resampling algorithms to choose from when resizing images
· Image color effects: gray scale, sepia, negative, Red/Green/Blue adjustment
· Image special effects: watermark, annotation, drop shadow, framing, bump map, lens, morph, waves
· Multi-level Undo/Redo capability
· One-touch best fit/actual size image display support
· Image management, including tagging capability and Copy To/Move To Folder support
· Histogram display with color counter feature
· Image EXIF metadata support (plus comment editing for JPEGs)
· Configurable batch processing to convert/rename large or small collections of images
· Slideshow creation with 150 transition effects and music support (MP3, WMA, WAV...)
· Create efficient image attachment(s) for emailing to family and friends
· Print images with full page-layout control
· Choose and set desktop wallpaper from your image collections
· Acquire images from a scanner
· Versatile screen capture capability
· Powerful Save As interface to compare image quality and control generated file size
· Run favorite programs with one keystroke from within Image Viewer
· Create a no-install fully portable version of the program which can be run from a removable storage device
· Configurable mouse wheel support
· Supports multiple program skins
· 256MB RAM
· 10MB space in hard drive
· Mouse (with scroll-wheel recommended)
· Provided as freeware for private (non-commercial) or educational (including non-profit organization) use. In these cases, you are granted the right to use and to make an unlimited number of copies of these programs. However, for commercial use, it is required to purchase a license.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added a Minimize button (hidden at the top-right corner of the screen) to full screen mode. Now you can minimize the application to taskbar without exiting the full screen mode
· Added two Mouse Click options to use left/right clicks for previous/next images
· Improved the Draw Board. Now it is possible to draw curved lines
· Improved the Print dialog
· Other improvements and bug fixes