Softpedia Editor's Review for FormatFactory
Multifunctional media converter that supports video/audio/picture conversion
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 29th, 2012
Ever tried to convert a specific file into another format? If the answer is yes, you sure know how difficult it really is to find a tool that’s able to do that without wasting your time with configuration settings.
FormatFactory might very well become a valuable solution to all those who struggle to convert multimedia files, because it is free, works on every Windows version out there and has a lot of features.
Before talking about the interface, it needs to be mentioned that the app supports a lot of formats, as FormatFactory is able to convert video files, audio and pictures into all kinds of formats such as MP3, AVI, 3GP, MKV, MOV, MMF, AMR, M4A, MP2, ICO, TIF, PCX, TGA and others.
The interface is both appealing and well organized, and although the app is able to process numerous file formats, it is also incredibly easy to handle. All the main features are nicely organized in the left part of the main window, while the conversion process is detailed in the center.
In case you are not entirely satisfied with the interface, you can also go for another color theme, as the application also comes with a few other skins for more exigent users.
In addition to format conversion, the software can be used to rip DVDs and CDs , or to create ISO files based on user-selected discs. You can even compress the ISO files and generate CSOs, depending on your choice.
After or before converting your video or audio tracks, you can choose to join the files and obtain a large one than can be played on your device. FormatFactory can stitch together files of the same format, while still allowing you to adjust the output quality and size.
When dealing with very large files that take a lot of time to convert or join, you can set FormatFactory to shutdown the PC when the process ends and you can leave the computer, so that you are not compelled to stick around to turn it off manually.
All in all, FormatFactory should be your number one pick when converting a file, due to the numerous formats it supports, as well as the functions it provides.
Here are some key features of "FormatFactory":
· All to MPG / AVI / 3GP / FLV / MP4.
· All to MP3 / OGG / WMA / M4A / WAV.
· All to JPG / BMP / PNG / TIF / ICO.
· Rip DVD to video file.
· MP4 files support iPod/iPhone/PSP format.
· Repair damaged video and audio file.
· Reducing Multimedia file size.
· Support iPhone, iPod multimedia file formats.
· Picture converting supports Zoom, Rotate/Flip, tags.
· DVD Ripper.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Adjust GUI to support Win8 pad
· Adjust some profiles of video
· Fixed a bug of default bitrate and resolution algorithm
· Fixed a bug of subtitle
· Fixed problems of MP4 muxer
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime