Softpedia Editor's Review for Subtitle Edit
You can use this software when you want to modify subtitles or synchronize them with the movies
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 14th, 2012
Anyone who watches a lot of movies on the computer found the subtitles to be out of sync or downright wrong at least once. To correct these issues a specialized software is a must and Subtitle Edit may be just the right choice.
This application was specifically designed to help you edit and create subtitles or simply synchronize existing ones with your movies without wasting too much time.
Once the setup is complete, you can get acquainted with the clean interface Subtitle Edit has to offer. Although it might seem a bit overwhelming at first glance, everything is well organized and easily accessible right from the main window.
While the subtitle you’re working on is displayed in the middle, the functions of the application can be found either using the buttons located at the top or through the classic menu that includes all of them.
For those who want to add a personal touch to the application, there’s a settings menu that can be configured by both beginners and experienced users alike.
Another big plus for Subtitle Edit is the extensive support it offers for more than 80 subtitle types. You can even convert the files to the desired format with only a few clicks.
Besides basic synchronization and editing functions, the program also comes with an auto-translate feature that is based on Google Translate, so it supports a lot of languages. We’ve tried a couple of them and everything worked like a breeze and pretty fast, which is another proof that Subtitle Edit is right on the money.
Bottom line is that with Subtitle Edit you get professional grade features which, coupled with a great ease of use, make this software one of the best in its category.
Subtitle Edit description
Here are some key features of "Subtitle Edit":
· VISUALLY sync/adjust (start pos and speed) a subtitle.
· Export to/import from html (for online translation)
· Visual translation helper
· Adjust all subtitle times
· Adjust display time
· Remove text for hear impaired
· Convert between MicroDVD, SubRib, Substation Alpha, SAMI, and more
· Fix line numbering, casing, spaces, long lines, and invalid display time
· Split / append subtitles
· Spell checker: English and Danish included. Dutch dictionary exists in the TJanSpeller zip file
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New: Export to DOST format (image based)
· Improved: Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation
· Improved: Waveform generator - pauses video before starting
· Fixed: "Select current subtitle while playing" now works again
· Fixed: SPUMUX + FCP image export now uses 8bpp png images
· Fixed: SUP export (from ocr window) no longer crashes