Softpedia Editor's Review for Free Video Converter
A handy movie file editor
Written by Elena Opris on February 15th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Free Video Converter
Free Video Converter is a tool that allows you to encode several video formats (e.g. AVI, FLV, MOV, MP4, MPG, RM, RMVB, WMV) to a few profiles (YouTube, web, high definition, iPod, iPhone).
The program comes with a user-friendly interface in which you can import media by using the file browser (the "drag and drop" method is not supported but batch processing is).
So, you can preview the clip, pause and stop it, as well as navigate back and forth within the stream.
In addition, you can view clip properties (file name, width, height, duration, frames per second), zoom in and out (in a video editor), select and deselect frames, invert selections, select a clip in the timeline, and more.
Once you have reached the "Export" tab, you can select the output format (AVI, WMV, MPEG), audio and video codecs, frames per second, scaling (e.g. letterbox, stretch, custom) and configure preprocessing (enable smooth rescaling and deinterlace).
Furthermore, you can save and load your own profiles and projects, change the interface language, use the "undo" and "redo" functions, minimize the ribbon, and more.
The program takes up a moderate-to-high quantity of system resources and doesn't include a help file, which is very important for rookies. A conversion task can take a long time to complete but the image and sound quality in the output files is very good.
However, Free Video Converter failed to properly display a FLV file during our tests and it requires third-party components (that you separately have to install) in order to fully function (in the case of MOV files, for example).
Also, the "Edit" tab is not very relevant to the overall functionality of the tool. All in all, Free Video Converter is a good program for encoding video files but other similar products are better organized.
Free Video Converter description
Here are some key features of "Free Video Converter":
· Opens and converts from the following file formats: AVI, FLV, MOV, MP4, MPG, MPEG, MTS, RM, RMVB, QT, WMV, and others recognized by your computer (Direct Show).
· Converts to the following output format: AVI, MP4, MPEG1, MPEG2, QuickTime (QT), WMV.
· Easy and simple user interface including the movie preview area, timeline and editing area, and video clip management area.
· Supports splitting or merging multiple videos by selecting movie sections to be merged or split.
· Supports the new high-definition high-quality format H.264, including multi-pass conversion for even higher quality. This allows creating best quality movies at minimum size.
· Provides predefined conversion settings for instant conversion to movie formats supported by YouTube, iPod, iPhone, HDTV, and Web pages (Flash).
· Supports saving custom conversion settings.
· Supports movie scaling (resizing), deinterlacing, and changing frames-per-second.
· Supports batch mode to quickly convert multiple movies or selections to a single or separate output files.
· Supports saving and loading movie conversion projects.
· Creates HTML pages that play converted videos as Flash movies (FLV) for easy publishing to the Web.