Softpedia Editor's Review for RealPlayer
The all-in-one digital media player that lets you find anything and play everything
Written by Bogdan Popa on December 17th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for RealPlayer
RealPlayer is an all-in-one media player that's able to play virtually all multimedia files out there, while offering users a bunch of extra features. The program is not at all difficult to use and it addresses both advanced and less experienced users.
The installer is full of options, allowing to choose right from the beginning whether to place shortcuts on desktop or to use RealPlayer for opening multimedia files that are not yet associated with another application.
The application may not surprise you at first sight, as RealPlayer greets the user with its now well-known browsing window. The interface is simple, yet stylish and comprises the player itself, a Library section that allows you to organize your media content and a CD burner.
RealPlayer has support for most audio and video formats out there, boasting the same features as many other digital media players out there, including playlists, libraries, equalizers and even burning capabilities. Of course, RealPlayer also allows you to listen to online radio stations, as the app includes over 3,200 stations from all over the world.
What we liked the most was definitely the fact that RealPlayer can handle basically all multimedia files on our computer, but on the other hand, a few interface upgrades here and there would be great.
RealPlayer acts as a multimedia center for your computer. It is not just a player, but it can also be tagged as a media organization tool and a CD burning utility. All of these, together with its accessibility and ease of use make it worth your while.
Here are some key features of "RealPlayer":
· Over 3200 stations worldwide & 60 ad-free stations for endless listening.
· Optimize sound with the 10-Band Graphic Equalizer and get the sharpest picture with advanced video controls.
Advanced CD Burning:
· Rip, mix & burn CDs like a pro - fast! Encode MP3s at up to 320kbps.
· RealOne Player plays all major media formats including Quicktime MPEG-4, Windows Media, DVDs, & more.
Easy, Fun & Intuitive:
· Browse the web, organize audio & video files, create playlists, & more!
· 1 GHz processor or greater (supports simultaneous record/playback features)
· 512 MB of RAM, 1 GB
· High-speed internet connection (audio/video)
· Full Duplex sound card and speakers
· CD and DVD writer (for CD and DVD writing features)
· DVD player and DVD playback software (for DVD playback)
· 4+ GB available disk space for saving media, and for creating CDs or DVDs
· Features not included in standard/free version :
· DVD/VCD Burning
· Toolbar Display Mode
· 10-Band Graphic Equalizer
· Extra CD Burning options such as Audio Filters and Multi-Session Burning
· Manual Media Conversion
· Print CD and DVD Jewel Case Inserts
· Print My Library
· Video Controls
· Record Mic/Line In (Analog source recording)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved security.
· Fixed an issue with resizing, where videos in Now Playing could be stuck in a small size.
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function