Softpedia Editor's Review for The Dude
Scan your network, make a layout map and start monitoring services
Written by Ciprian Paius on December 8th, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for The Dude
The Dude is a versatile network monitoring application, ideal for dealing with a small network infrastructure. It provides you with all the basic features of a visual network management software and strives to bring to the table some of the tools used by experienced network administrators.
This approach is probably what leads to the intimidating user interface. The main functions of The Dude are easily accessible but the wide range of options, settings and commands might scare the inexperienced user at a first glance. This is but a minor setback, since after browsing through the application a bit, things tend to become familiar.
After scanning the network, The Dude presents users with an adjustable visual interface of the network structure. All computers, routers, file servers or web servers are displayed using a set of icons to differentiate them, all being presented in a web-like manner. You can easily drag any of the network items you are interested in, and rearrange the structure to your liking.
You can add new devices, networks or submaps to the visual representation of the currently discovered items by simply providing the IP address or the subnets, thus extending the framework.
With The Dude you can easily get the IPs, MAC addresses or the services running on any of the machines on the network. You can perform a wide set of actions on any of the computers in the network and use the monitoring protocols to get notifications for all important changes.
You can ping, traceroute, probe, scan or use the remote connection to get information on computers or routers on your network. Furthermore, the application provides you with valuable charts and statistics regarding the performance of your network.
If you are looking for a free network management solution, then you should give it a try and see what it does for you.
The Dude description
Here are some key features of "The Dude":
· Auto network discovery and layout
· Discovers any type or brand of device
· Device, Link monitoring, and notifications
· Includes SVG icons for devices, and supports custom icons and backgrounds
· Easy installation and usage
· Allows you to draw your own maps and add custom devices
· Supports SNMP, ICMP, DNS and TCP monitoring for devices that support it
· Individual Link usage monitoring and graphs
· Direct access to remote control tools for device management
· Supports remote Dude server and local client
· Runs in Linux Wine environment, MacOS Darwine, and Windows
· Best price/value ratio compared to other products (free of charge)
· RAM: minimum - 64MB, recommended minimum - 128MB
· Video: at least 800x600
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· improved window state saving
· fixed bug causing "too many open files" problem on RouterOS dude server
· added "Remove Resolved" button to outages
· fixed images loading forever problem
· fixed data sources sometimes did not get correct values from snmp
· fixed 'no gap in graph' when service down for some time
· fixed server crash when connection to agent lost
· fixed unable to add more than one item in dialog box that should allow that
· more fixes