Softpedia Editor's Review for nTop
A network traffic probe that will show you the network usage
Written by Sorin Cirneala on April 19th, 2012
nTop is a powerful application that allows you to monitor the network connections and provides you with important traffic statistics. The program features a web interface that can be accessed with any internet browser.
Before using the application you need to select the network interface that you want to monitor. After the service has been started you can browse the generated reports on the web browser.
The application provides you with general information about the active sessions and the distribution of data packets among the protocols. Thus you can know the most used communication protocol and the data that has been transferred.
The network load statistics can display the maximum or the average transfer rate for the last ten minutes or even an entire month. You can also view a graphical representation of the traffic in order to identify the busiest time interval. Network administrators can use this information in order to optimize network connections.
You identify the regions where certain hosts are located by using the Traffic maps report. The information is based on the IP address and can pinpoint the country and the city of a certain host. Other details include the number of sent packets or the ratio between the sent and received data.
The gathered information can be viewed in the browser widow but you can also dump it to external files in PHP or plain text format in order to analyze it with other applications. Most of the reports provided by nTop can be sorted in order to easily find the top network users or the hosts using a certain protocol.
nTop provides a lot of information that can be useful for advanced users such as network administrators or developers. If you are just looking for a tool that displays the network usage for a home computer, this program is far too complex.
Here are some key features of "nTop":
· Sort network traffic according to many protocols
· Show network traffic sorted according to various criteria
· Display traffic statistics
· Store on disk persistent traffic statistics in RRD format
· Identify the indentity (e.g. email address) of computer users
· Passively (i.e. withou sending probe packets) identify the host OS
· Show IP traffic distribution among the various protocols
· Analyse IP traffic and sort it according to the source / destination
· Display IP Traffic Subnet matrix (who's talking to who?)
· Report IP protocol usage sorted by protocol type
· Act as a NetFlow/sFlow collector for flows generated by routers (e.g. Cisco and Juniper) or switches (e.g. Foundry Networks)
· Produce RMON-like network traffic statistics
· VoIP support (SIP, Cisco SCCP and Asterisk IAX)
· NetFlow (including v5 and v9) and IPFIX support
· Network Flows
· Local Traffic Analysis
· Multithread and MP (MultiProcessor) support
· Perl/PHP/Python lightweight API for accessing ntop from remote
· Support of both NetFlow andsFlow as flow collector. ntop can collect simultaneously from multiple probes.
· Traffic statistics are saved into RRD databases for long-run traffic analysis.
· Internet Domain, AS (Autonomous Systems), VLAN (Virtual LAN) Statistics
· Network assets discovery and categorization according to their OS and users
· Protocol decoders for most of known P2P (Peer to Peer) protocols
· Advanced 'per user' HTTP password protection with encrypted passwords
· RRD support for persistently storing per-host traffic information
· Passive remote host fingerprint (Courtesy of ettercap)
· HTTPS (Secure HTTP via OpenSSL)
· Virtual/multiple network interfaces support
· Graphical Charts (via gdchart)
· WAP support
· From a few MB (little LAN) to 100 MB for a WAN
· On a modern PC and large LAN, it is less than 10% of overall CPU load