Softpedia Editor's Review for CommView for WiFi
A program for capturing traffic on 802.11a / b / g networks
Written by Olivian Puha on March 28th, 2013
Network traffic monitoring is a task that requires specialized tools and a specialist to interpret the data, so this means it is an undertaking only for professionals. Thing may be even more complicated if the tracked network is a wireless one, because hardware and software compatibility and communication plays an important role.
A tool that was especially designed for the above mentioned purpose is CommView for WiFi. It serves as both monitor and analyzer for data moving through WLAN channels.
The program comes with a neat interface, well organized and quite easy to understand. Nodes, channels, packets, VoIP and logs are available each from its own tab and the 'Detailed View' option will display all the available information.
CommView for WiFi is able to look into every packet of data and reveal details concerning access points, as well as various stats including those for each channel and node, signal strength, protocol distribution, connections list and many more.
The application supports decoding captured packets and thanks to its impressive support for more than 70 protocols, CommView for WiFi will allow you to get every bit of information with regard to the network traffic.
With this utility you can also view call logging details and get full reports about SIP Sessions, H.323 Sessions, RTP Streams, Endpoints, Registrations and Errors. You can create advanced rules for capturing or ignoring packets and even set alarms for specific events.
To sum it up, it's safe to say that CommView for WiFi manages to put up a very good performance, backed by a strong feature pack. It provides many useful functions and, even if it's addressed to professionals rather than average users, the software is still quite easy to operate.
CommView for WiFi description
Here are some key features of "CommView for WiFi":
· Scan the air for WiFi stations and access points.
· Capture 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g WLAN traffic.
· Specify WEP or WPA keys to decrypt encrypted packets.
· View detailed per-node and per-channel statistics.
· View detailed IP connections statistics: IP addresses, ports, sessions, etc.
· Reconstruct TCP sessions.
· Configure alarms that can notify you about important events, such as suspicious packets, high bandwidth utilization, unknown addresses, rogue access points, etc.
· View protocol "pie" charts.
· Monitor bandwidth utilization.
· Browse captured and decoded packets in real time.
· Search for strings or hex data in captured packet contents.
· Log individual or all packets to files.
· Load and view capture files offline.
· Import and export packets in Sniffer, EtherPeek, AiroPeek, Observer, NetMon, Tcpdump, hex, and text formats.
· Export any IP address to SmartWhois for quick, easy lookup.
· A compatible wireless adapter
· Pentium 4 or higher.
· 10 MB of free disk space.
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· A completely reworked protocol decoder: more supported protocols and a summary for each packet.