Softpedia Editor's Review for Adobe Reader
A software that lets you view and print Portable Document Format (PDF) files
Written by Bogdan Popa on January 6th, 2012
Adobe Reader X is a powerful software solution that enables you to view and print PDF documents fast and easy, no matter the content, be it photos, videos, emails, drawings or any kind of multimedia file.
The application allows you to write down comments and feedback using a separate frame in the right side of the window, while the reading space is not affected at all. In fact, this is one of this tool's strong points: the interface is quite clean, but still manages to provide a lot of tools for zooming, selecting text, print, add bookmarks and many others.
A great thing about Adobe Reader X is its ability work with CAD designs and geospatial maps converted to Portable Document Format. Also, in case you need to locate any element within a PDF file, the application offers a comprehensive file searching engine that finds what you need in a matter of seconds.
The security functions enable you to view and work with PDF documents without having to worry about malicious code being executed on your machine. The 'Protected Mode' and the 'Enhanced Security' features are designed to safeguard your computer and provide data protection and privacy.
When it comes to customizing Adobe Reader X, the Preferences area will give you the possibility to modify a wide range of settings. Comments, 3D and multimedia, measuring and reading options are available, as well as spelling or page units configurations.
In case you find Adobe Reader X too difficult to use, the application includes a comprehensive help manual. Unfortunately you will need an Internet connection to access it, which means you won't be able to read the documentation in offline mode.
All things considered, with this software you can't get it wrong simply because it still sets the standards insofar as PDF documents are concerned. Adobe Reader X really works as advertised and is the leading tool for viewing Portable Document Format files.
Adobe Reader description
Here are some key features of "Adobe Reader":
- Industry-leading security:
- Take advantage of the security of Protected Mode in Reader, which helps safeguard your computer software and data from malicious code.
- Enhanced commenting tools:
- Make notes and share your feedback with others by marking up PDF documents using the Sticky Notes and Highlighter tools.
- Simplified user interface:
- View information more precisely and efficiently. Choose reading mode to fit more content on the screen or two-up mode to view page spreads. Use keyboard shortcuts like print, zoom, and find within the browser.
- Comprehensive file searching:
- Find and retrieve any PDF document or phrase within a document in seconds. Search for words in page content, annotations, bookmarks, form fields, or document metadata within any PDF file on a local computer.
- Opening PDF Portfolios:
- Open and view contents of a PDF Portfolio, a collection of PDF documents, and other document types, including drawings, email messages, spreadsheets, and videos.
- Electronic form submission:
- Fill, save, sign, and electronically submit forms that have been Reader enabled by Adobe LiveCycle ES2 or Adobe Acrobat software.
- Flash technology support:
- Enable a new level of end-user interaction thanks to the ability of Reader to natively display rich media content created with Adobe Flash technology.
- CAD and geospatial functionality:
- Reader users can access and interact with CAD designs and geospatial maps that have been converted to PDF.
- Access to all PDF files:
- View and interact with PDF files that contain a wide variety of content types, including drawings, email messages, spreadsheets, videos, and other multimedia elements.
- Online services:
- Directly access online services at Acrobat.com from within Reader X. Perform common tasks such as creating PDF files, securely sharing and storing documents, and screen-sharing.
- International standards:
- Take advantage of support for the new ISO Standard 32000 for PDF. Also, Reader continues to support PDF/A, the ISO-approved standard for the long-term preservation of electronic documents; PDF/X (printing); PDF/H; PDF/E (engineering); XMP/RDF; and ODBC.
- Let Reader X read out loud, or change the reading order of columns. Reader meets the accessibility requirements mandated by Section 508 of the amended U.S. Rehabilitation Act.
- Deployment tools:
- Manage Reader deployments using the Adobe Customization Wizard, IBM Tivoli, Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Microsoft System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP), Windows Group Policy Objects, or Active Directory.
- Security standards:
- Extend the functionality of Adobe Reader X using the Acrobat software development kit (SDK), available free of charge.
- Multilingual User Interface:
- Install French, German, and Spanish simultaneously, and then switch among them using the Adobe Multilingual User Interface (MUI). The user interface also changes to the appropriate language on-the-fly.
- Intel 1.3GHz or faster processor
- 256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)
- 320 MB of available hard-disk space
- 1024x768 screen resolution
- Internet Explorer 7 or above, Firefox Extended Support Release or Chrome
- Video hardware acceleration (optional)
| ||Softpedia guarantees that Adobe Reader XI 11.0.5 / X 10.1.8 is 100% FREE, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |