Softpedia Editor's Review for Foxit Reader
Small, fast, and feature rich PDF viewer
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 17th, 2012
PDF files are widely used for their high compression and increased quality when it comes to containing images, forms or formatted texts. And since Windows does not provide native support for this format, a specialized application is required to access their contents, such as Foxit Reader.
Specifically designed to work with PDF files in the easiest way ever, Foxit Reader is an intuitive application that serves its purpose pretty well: it opens PDFs instantly without bothering the user too much and, at the same time, offering them some very interesting goodies.
Foxit Reader has quite an eye-candy interface but those who want to customize it can easily resort to applying a skin and go for another color scheme. Though packed with numerous buttons and menus, the UI does not seem crowded, leaving plenty of room for viewing any PDF file, rotating or zooming it, as well as easily sharing it on Facebook .
Unlike basic PDF viewers, Foxit Reader allows users to read the file's comments, preview each layer and attachment, as well as verify or validate the signatures. It also supports text-to-speech, meaning that it can read aloud a selected page or the entire document.
Furthermore, documents can be viewed as text-only files, thus stripping all the images or objects and accessing only the actual text, with no distractions. A full-screen mode is also within reach, when users want to focus on their files.
To sum it up, Foxit Reader is a great app for PDF management, and since it comes with a free license and works on every single Windows version out there, everyone can take it for a spin and decide if it is a keeper on their PC.
Foxit Reader description
Here are some key features of "Foxit Reader":
· This new feature enables you to interactively fill out a PDF form, export it as a FDF file, e-mail it and save it together with PDF document.
On-demand download of add-ons:
· Foxit Reader enables you to download add-ons at your needs and when necessary.
· Different from other PDF Reader that always silently checks for updates over internet, Foxit Reader 2.0 won't automatically visit website without your permission. It starts to update merely when the time you open a specific document which cannot be properly displayed for missing modules support, for example CJK support, and JBIG2/JPEG2000 decoder etc.
Multi-language UI support:
· Foxit Reader 2.0 supports dynamical UI language switch. English is the default UI language, but you can select a localized language from the Language menu.
· This powerful new feature allows advanced users to create complex logic for PDF forms, to validate user input and process data.
· With this new feature, Foxit Reader self-upgrade, you don't have to manually download a new version from website, only need to click on "checking for updates now" from the Help menu. Update manager will search for a latest version available on Foxit server, download and re-install it.
Improved printing speed:
· Foxit Reader 2.0 has improved printing speed for PS (Postscript) printer.
· Foxit Reader 2.0 consolidated toolbar for a streamlined UI, creating a neat and better look and feel.
The compelling advantages of Foxit Reader:
· When you run Foxit Reader, it launches instantly without any delay. You are not forced to view an annoying splash window displaying company logo, author names, etc.
· Have you ever wished to annotate (or comment on) a PDF document when you are reading it? Foxit Reader 2.0 allows you to draw graphics, highlight text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document.
· You may convert the whole PDF document into a simple text file.
High security and privacy:
· Foxit Reader highly respects the security and privacy of users and will never connect to Internet without users' permission. While other PDF Reader often silently connects to the Internet in the background.
· 1.3 GHz or faster processor
· 512 MB RAM (Recommended: 1 GB RAM or greater)
· 1 GB of available hard drive space
· 1024*768 screen resolution
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· PDF Creation
· Allows users to quickly and easily create PDF.
· With one-click, create from Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel through the Foxit Reader plug-in.
High performance PDF conversion from hundreds of file types by:
· Dragging and dropping the document into Foxit Reader.
· Using the Foxit Reader create From File capability.
· Right mouse clicking on the file.
· Convert hardcopy documents into PDF with the create From Scanner functionality.
· Extend any application with print capabilities to include PDF conversion through the included Foxit Reader PDF Printer (PDF print driver).
· Cut and paste content via the Windows clipboard into a new PDF by using the From Clipboard feature.
· Ribbon-Based Toolbar
· New user interface with a ribbon-based toolbar based on Microsoft Office 2013 (Office 15) design is more intuitive and provides users with a familiar user experience.
· Read and Search PDF Portfolios
· Open and read PDF portfolios and perform searches either within a single PDF...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function