Softpedia Editor's Review for CD Archiver
An easy-to-use disc collection organizer
Written by Mihaela Citea on March 25th, 2013
As its name implies, CD Archiver is a reliable and comprehensive tool that can help you create your own disc database and keep track of your expanding disc collection.
The main interface is simple and intuitive, which makes it easy to use by both casual and seasoned users. It displays the collection contents in tree-view, allowing easy navigation through discs, audio and video items.
Selecting a disc displays the number of folders it contains, the average file size and the available free space, while clicking on any of the files reveals detailed information about it, such as the name and type, last modification date and time, location, as well as video and audio parameters (bitrate, aspect ratio, frame rate, dimensions, compression mode and so on).
You can enlarge your collection by adding as many discs as you want, but offline discs and local folders can also be included. The integrated disc loaning manager enables you to keep track of the discs you decide to loan to friends.
Collection items can be organized into different categories and sorted by metadata tags. CD Archiver can download item information from the Internet, using Amazon, IMDb and other similar websites.
Every disc can be assigned a custom image for easier identification and Flash Earth links are automatically added to those that include GPS info.
Printing and exporting capabilities, automatic thumbnail generation, proxy support, search tools, customizable appearance (using the included themes) are other advantages that this application comes with. Furthermore, you can enhance its functionality using iFilters and plugins.
Providing support for a wide variety of input file types (archives - GZ, TGZ, 7Z, CHM, ARJ etc., common multimedia files and other formats, such as HTML, PDF, EXE and more), CD Archiver is an easy to use utility that allows you to manage your CD collections and keep track of every disc you lend.
CD Archiver description
Here are some key features of "CD Archiver":
· Flashearth links are added to images that contain gps information.
· Ability to print and export reports in HTML, RTF, Text and XML.
· Item information is extracted from the internet (using Amazon, IMDB, FreeDB and LyricWiki).
· Ability to export library as flash gallery, Comma-separated values, OpenDocument Spreadsheet and OOXML
· Ability to use IFilters and plugins (created in any .NET language).
· Archived items can be sorted based on Categories or Metadata tags.
· Thumbnails are generated automatically for the supported file types.
· Compressed files are displayed as folders.
· Undo and redo support.
· Disc loaning manager.
· .NET Framework 2.0 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added Russian translation
· Rotten Tomatoes is now used to get movie data
· Thumbnails are now shown for possible matches when an exact internet search match cannot be found
· FFMPeg is now used to extract metadata
· Flash gallery now uses Polaroid Gallery
· Ability to search in discs titles
· Speed and metadata extraction improvements
· Bug fixes