Softpedia Editor's Review for Cafe English
World's biggest English learning software - 40 Chapters, 6 CDs, Videos, Audio.
Written by Sorin Cirneala on November 12th, 2012
The content of the tutor is organized in forty lessons that include separate sections for video presentation, word explanation, interactive conversation and other exercises. Each section benefits from a short description from Divya, an animated character designed to introduce you to the basic controls.
The Fluency Training section enables you to learn new words and to practice the phrases by repeating them by yourself. You can select the items that you want to hear again in order to perfect a certain pronunciation.
The Comprehension section enables the user to prove the understanding of a conversation by providing the correct answers to a set of questions. In order to compare the pronunciation of certain phrases you can use a microphone to record your voice.
Besides providing you with the correct pronunciation of the words, the program also attempts to explain the meaning of the most relevant words from the presentation. However, this explanation is limited to the presentation context and does not include a complete definition of the term.
Although the program requires minimal resources to run, the sound and video playback are sometimes out of sync. This makes it harder to follow the message of the presentation and to answer the questions correctly.
The main issue of Cafe English is the pronunciation of the words which is not entirely accurate. If you are just starting to learn English and want to acquire good enunciation skills you should look for another solution.
Cafe English description
Here are some key features of "Cafe English":
· Talk to live virtual characters
· Talk to live virtual characters who will reply to you, and help you improve your pronunciation.
· Practice Speaking· A language can be learnt only by speaking it. That is why Cafe English helps you master the flow and pronunciation by giving you a lot of speaking practice.
· Easy to use Interface
· Even new computer users can master the Caf? English user interface. All exercises are done either by the mouse or speaking into the microphone.
· No Workbook Required
· Our main focus is on Listening, Speaking, Pronunciation, Vocabulary, Reading and Grammar. You do everything on-screen either by clicking the mouse button, or by speaking
· Contemporary, Indian real-world topics.
· Conversational language.
· Grammar in communicative contexts.
· Natural recording with a variety of accents.
· Task-based listening activities.
· Opportunities to share opinions and ideas.
· Student-centered fluency activities.
· Thorough practice of pronunciation.
· Vocabulary building exercises
· 45 days trial
· Nag screen
· Not available the full speech recognition so that you can talk to virtual characters on the PC
· 40 times less material