Softpedia Editor's Review for ICE Book Reader Professional
Ebook reader and MP3 book creator supported TXT, RTF, HTML, DOC, PALM and LIT
Written by Elena Opris on December 7th, 2012
ICE Book Reader Professional is an application designed to help you read books in the digital format. It supports several extensions, including RTF, HTML, DOC, TXT and PALM.
This tool can also be stored as portable software. In this case, you can place ICE Book Reader Professional on a removable device (like a USB flash drive), save it on any computer and directly run its executable file. More importantly, there are no changes made to the Windows registry and no leftover items can be found after program removal.
Although the interface of the app may seem complicated at a first glance, ICE Book Reader Professional is actually pretty simple to work with. You can use either the file browser or clipboard to import a book.
The file list displays the file name, book name, author, title, category, language, comment and other information on each entry. So, you can sort the digital books according to the last date of access or modification, author name, series or other criteria.
ICE Book Reader Professional allows you to copy or edit selected text, use a search function, exit full screen mode, hide the toolbar, switch to speech mode and enable automatic scrolling.
In the "Options" area you can view book information, change the interface language, configure scroll mode settings (e.g. speed, proportional font), set up an alarm clock and make color corrections.
ICE Book Reader Professional runs on a moderate amount of CPU and system memory, has a good response time and contains user documentation. We have not come across any difficulties throughout our testing; ICE Book Reader Professional did not freeze, crash or pop up error dialogs. However, its interface needs some updates. The app should be easy to figure out, even by less experienced users.
ICE Book Reader Professional description
Here are some key features of "ICE Book Reader Professional":
· Fast on-the-fly compression with access to any book section without unpacking the whole file. Compression ratio is ALWAYS better than the best ZIP compression. Usual compression ratio is 1:4 - 1:7
· Dynamic content modification without re-writing the whole book.
· Setting different compression levels and different cluster sizes.
· Automatic compression mode adjustment depending on the contents of a file.
· Compression of data as well as all container system tables.
· Setting of different compression algorithms or disabling compression for any part of the book.
· Automatic on-the-fly container data defragmentation.
· Automatic re-use of free space inside a container if some files are deleted, with optimal strategy for searching and selection of free blocks.
· Automatic re-arrangement of file blocks inside a container for minimizing physical file operations.
· Avoiding free space at the end of a cluster if the whole cluster is not occupied.
· Using a triple cache system for fast access to book contents with the automatic monitoring of used RAM.
· Monitoring data integrity using double CRC data protection for any file operations with variable CRC size. All bits in the container are now protected from HDD failures.
· Use of strong encryption (ICE Safe) for book contents and all system tables, with block size up to 8 million bits and anti-bruteforce techniques. The ICE Book Reader Professional book container is now the MOST SECURE container in the world. Security level outperforms .PDF and .LIT
· Many other features which are supported by the container but not yet used in ICE Book Reader Professional.
· True color (16777216 colors) or HiColor (32768 or 65536 colors) display mode
· CPU frequency more than 500 MHz
· For MS Word DOC document support: Microsoft Word 97 or better (MS Word 97, MS Word 2000, MS Word XP or better) or Open Office.
· Codepages: ICE Book Reader Professional uses Windows API for codepage conversion. Most required codepages are installed by default. Additional codepages might be required.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added file import from command line.
· Example: ICEReader.exe /import="D:\Books\Sample Book.rtf"
· Added inter-application connection, allowing to import file from command line without starting new copy ICE Reader, if ICE Reader is already running
· Fixed restoring original book file extension
· Some fixes