Softpedia Editor's Review for FreeArc
Archive your files with this tool.
Written by Bogdan Popa on October 31st, 2012
FreeArc is a compression tool that tries to offer users an alternative to more popular archivers such as WinRAR or WinZip.
The application adds its very own entries in the Context Menu, so you'll be able to either create a new archive or extract files from one with just two clicks.
FreeArc shows tons of options when trying to create an archive, including compression, encryption and protection, store file paths, update mode and comments.
The interface is quite plain and simple, so you won't spend much time getting along with it. It is similar to the ones of other compression tools on the market, which means you just have to install it and you're all set.
As for the way it works, FreeArc is pretty fast and efficient. We've tested it with both small and large archives and every time it worked like a charm.
Nonetheless, even if it remains fast when extracting files from a large archive, during our tests FreeArc seriously slowed down the computer, eating up most of the CPU and RAM.
Some users might think that creating archives in the .arc format could be a drawback, but that's not at all a problem since most of the other compression tools in the market already work with this filetype too.
The utility can convert archives to its proprietary format or to SFX and it can also lock compressed files to prevent any further changes.
So, all things considered, FreeArc is a pretty nice alternative to the well-known file archivers out there. With a decent feature pack and quiet easy to use, this application is certainly one of the top choices in its category.
Here are some key features of "FreeArc":
· Solid compression with smart updates (only changed solid blocks are recompressed)
· User-definable solid block size (-s…) and file sorting order (-ds…), including customized filename ordering (arc.groups)
· AES/Blowfish/Twofish/Serpent encryption with keyfiles support and ability to chain multiple ciphers (-p, -hp, --keyfile, --encryption=ALGORITHMS)
· FAR and Total Commander plugins allow to create/browse/extract archives using the file manager interface
· Ability to list/extract archives directly from Internet: arc x http://www.haskell.org/bz/arc.arc *.h
· Archive protection and recovery, including recovery over Internet driven by CRCs of archive sectors (r/rr/-rr/--original=URL)
· Ability to test archive before and after any operation (-tp/-t), including checking by recovery record and full archive test
· Moving to archive (m), joining archives (j), archive recompression (ch), locking (k) and commenting (-z/cw)
· Select files by size, time/age and name (-sl, -sm, -ta, -tb, -tn, -to, -n), select by/clear ARCHIVE file attribute (-ao/-ac)
· Base directory on disk / inside archive (-dp/-ap), automatic generation of archive filenames (-ag)
· Errors and warnings are reported to stderr and reflected in program exit code; --logfile option saves to the file all the information displayed
· Configurable via arc.ini file and FREEARC environment variable; alternative settings may be selected by means of -cfg/-env options
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Encryption support in sfx/unarc.exe/unarc.dll
· Don't open cmd instance for external compressors
· Option 'Do not show hidden files and folders' (like in Explorer) Usability
· Extraction: answers no/skip/update are not handled properly
· DisPack assertation failure for large file
· File Type column in the GUI
· v0.666 archive updating problems (updating archives made with -mex)
· v0.666 SFX problems (extraction of SFX made with -mex)
· Return self-explanatory error codes from unarc.dll
· Replace Compression and Encryption tabs with dialog boxes
· Option "Compress into separate archives" should respect "Output archive/dir" setting
· FreeArc archives that include non-compressed zip/7z archives are recognized as zip/7z archives
· Nothing work without log folder
· Option "queue operations across multiple FreeArc copies"
· Support for archive names containing UNC addresses
· set archive time to:-> Latest file time under Archive Tab not working