Softpedia Editor's Review for Portable foobar2000
The portable version of the light weight and feature packed audio player foobar2000
Written by Giorgiana Arghire on November 9th, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Portable foobar2000
Most computer users are very picky about the software they rely on, and when they find a tool that suits their needs, they might want to carry it around and use it regardless of the computer they work on. Such an application is Portable foobar2000, which allows users to enjoy all the functions of the desktop version of the application on whichever system they want, without having to give up their custom configuration.
The main difference between Portable foobar2000 and the desktop one is that the former does not allow users to integrate it within the Windows context menus, so it will not apply any changes to the computer and will remain totally portable.
Portable foobar2000 supports a wide range range of audio formats and additional ones can be played after installing third-party plugins. This way, every user can personalize the application according to the type of files they play most frequently.
On the same note of customization, the app offers the possibility to modify the colors and fonts within Portable foobar2000 to their liking or even to match their current Windows theme.
All audio players come with the option to create playlists, but very few, such as Portable foobar2000, will be able convert tracks to other formats (encoders come separately). Even if the output options are not very numerous, they can come in handy when a quick conversion is needed to MP3 or AAC, for example.
Assigning global keyboard hotkeys to various foobar2000 functions can be very useful when playing a game in full-screen and needing to shuffle the playlist, repeat a certain song or move forward to the next track. Needless to mention, these hotkeys can be personalized by each user according to their habits so as not to overlap with existing ones.
To wrap it up, Portable foobar2000 is a feature-rich software that meets (and sometimes exceeds) the requirements of those who like to take their music with them and be able to enjoy it within a familiar software. It sports options for more advanced users, such as modifying metadata, install plugins or apply ReplayGain to MP3s, whereas novices can stick to creating playlists, listening to music or playing Internet radio.
Portable foobar2000 description
Here are some key features of "Portable foobar2000":
· Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND and more with additional components.
· Gapless playback.
· Full unicode support.
· Easily customizable user interface layout.
· Advanced tagging capabilities.
· Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component.
· Full ReplayGain support.
· Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
· Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed incorrect behaviors with both “cursor follows playback” and “playback follows cursor” enabled.
· Improved compatibility with dodgy ASX files written by Windows Media Player.
· Fixed notification area icon minimize bugs (again).
· Fixed problems with encoding very long audio streams to Vorbis.
· Fixed a very rare crash when using the Media Library preferences page.
· Various other maintenance updates and bug fixes.