Softpedia Editor's Review for Portable XnView
An efficient multimedia viewer, browser and converter
Written by Elena Opris on March 12th, 2013
XnView is a software that allows you to easily view, edit and convert image files. It supports many formats, including GIF, BMP, JPG, PNG and TIFF.
Since this is a portable product, XnView doesn't require any installation. So, you can place it on an external device and run it on any computer. Also, your Windows registry entries will not be affected.
The interface of XnView is clean and intuitive, thanks to the Explorer-based layout. By default, you can view images as thumbnails, but this mode can be changed (e.g. thumbnails and labels, thumbnails and details).
Once you have opened an image, you can switch to full screen mode, select an automatic image size, convert to colors or grey (e.g. 4 greyscale, 16 greyscale), lock zoom or map the image (e.g. automatic levels and contrast, negative, normalize, equalize).
You can also adjust a picture (e.g. brightness and contrast, levels, shadows and highlights), swap colors (e.g. RGB to RBG), extract a channel, rotate, flip, resize, set DPI, correct red eye, edit the palette, as well as add text or watermarks.
Furthermore, you can add effects (e.g. Gaussian blur, soften, enhance detail, focus restoration, emboss, reduce noise, drop shadow, 3D border, slice, shear, tile, oil painting, lens, waves), apply user filters and various plugins, if you have them installed (e.g. Photoshop add-ons).
In addition, you can search for pictures on your hard drive, view an image in hex mode, take a snapshot, create a slideshow, use batch processing, convert images, play videos and extract their frames, create a strip of images, set file associations, and more.
The program uses a high amount of system memory, includes a comprehensive online help file and is easy to use by both beginners and experienced individuals. Switching through images is simple because XnView supports multiple tabs.
We haven't come across any problems during our tests, so we strongly recommend the Portable XnView to all users.
Portable XnView description
Here are some key features of "Portable XnView":
· Import about 400 graphic file formats
· Export about 50 graphic file formats
· Multipage TIFF, Animated GIF, Animated ICO support
· Image IPTC, EXIF metadata support
· EXIF auto rotation support
· IPTC editing
· Resize, rotate, crop support
· Lossless rotate & crop (jpeg) support
· Adjust brightness, contrast...
· Auto levels, contrast
· Modify number of colors
· Apply filters (blur, average, emboss, ...)
· Apply effects (lens, wave, ...)
· Fullscreen mode
· Slide show with effects
· Batch convert, batch rename
· Create WEB page easily
· Screen capture
· Create contact Sheet
· Create or edit Multi-page file (TIFF, DCX, LDF)
· TWAIN & WIA support (Windows only)
· Print support (Windows only)
· Drag & Drop support (Windows only)
· Compare image side by side
· Filmstrip layout
· 44 languages support
· U3 USB flash drive (for the U3 version) or a regular USB drive
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· [File]/HiddenDescription added
· Metro toolbar style
· EXE are not signed
· OpenJPEG instead of JasPer for JPEG2000
· High DPI support
· Clipboard & 32bits
· PDF viewing
· IPTC, tab not correctly restored
· KRO vulnerability
· Print comment, text missing
· Working_* added for OpenWith
· Copy menu in information panel (Properties, exif, iptc, ...)
· SlideShow save as wpl playlist
· APK can be opened
· Better support for windows 8
· Image from capture & photomasque
· 'Add text' in batch convert, black text
· 'convert to colors' not correclty saved
· 'Sort by name' in slideshow dialog
· Secunia SA47352
· Slideshow & watch folder, problem if files are removed
· NConvert: autodeskew
· NConvert: clipboard
· NConvert: Resize by shortest/longest side
| ||Softpedia guarantees that Portable XnView 2.00 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |