Softpedia Editor's Review for Portable DataRecovery
An application that recovers deleted files
Written by Elena Opris on March 9th, 2012
This is the portable version of DataRecovery, a tool designed to help you retrieve files that were previously deleted from your computer.
Since installation is not necessary, you can simply place DataRecovery on an external device and run the executable file on any computer.
More importantly, there will be no changes made to your Windows registry items.
The interface of the program is plain and simple. You can select a drive and initiate the scanning process.
In the list you can view the name, type, size, date of modification and attribute of each file.
If you cannot find what you are looking for, then allow DataRecovery to perform a deeper scan (this process can take a very long time).
So, all you have to do is select one or more files, press the "Recover" button and specify the output directory. In addition, you can rename files (via the context menu) and wipe them.
The program takes up a massive amount of system resources and didn't freeze, crash or pop up errors during our tests. Recovery is immediately done.
However, DataRecovery comes with very limited options. For example, you cannot refine your search (e.g. look for a certain file or file format) or select a more specific location for it (like a folder, not an entire drive). And the interface definitely needs some major improvements.
The bottom line is that Portable DataRecovery is a pretty good tool for retrieving lost files, but its limited features and high demand of system resources makes it difficult to work with. Nevertheless, we suggest you give it a shot.
Portable DataRecovery description
Here are some key features of "Portable DataRecovery":
· FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS undeletion
· Undelete NTFS compressed files
· Undelete EFS encrypted files
· Wpe out deleted files never to be recovered again
· Runnable from floppy disk
· Search by partial string in the file name
· Undelete whole files in a directory
· Undelete multiple files by selecting them with Shift/Ctrl key
· Sort items displayed by clicking column headers
· Neither installation nor DLLs is needed
· Windows Vista supported
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Windows7 supported. fixed bugs about type cast. improved user interface