Softpedia Editor's Review for TeraCopy Portable
Easily copy and backup your files
Written by Elena Opris on November 23rd, 2012
TeraCopy Portable is a small and portable application that you can use to easily move or copy your information.
Since this is a portable product, the Windows registry is not affected in any way, so you can safely use it. Plus, you can store TeraCopy on an external device and directly run it from there.
The user interface is very simple. You drag and drop the source file or folder, choose the copy or move function, specify the output destination, after which TeraCopy automatically starts the task.
While the assigned task is running, you can view remaining time (which is not exactly accurate), the quantity of data that TeraCopy has already copied or moved, and the file that the program is currently processing (optionally view the status and size of each file). Once the task is complete, you can view the total elapsed time.
We put TeraCopy versus Windows 7 to the test and it managed to perform the task faster that Windows Explorer. We have to mention that TeraCopy is best used when handling large quantities of data. When it comes to smaller sizes, Windows was clearly faster.
Additionally, you can move or copy multiple data, but only in the same destination. Unfortunately, you cannot clear information in the clipboard, but only restart TeraCopy.
A test can be performed to check for file integrity, and you can also delete source files from disk, or send them to Recycle Bin. In 'Preferences' you can enable TeraCopy to play a sound when a task is completed, to check free space, to always test after copying, or to use the system write cache.
Furthermore, you can integrate the program in the Explorer, Total Commander and Directory Opus context menu.
TeraCopy Portable proves to be a reliable tool for file backup and transfer, while using a moderate amount of system memory.
TeraCopy Portable description
Here are some key features of "TeraCopy Portable":
· In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and in the worse case just skip the file, not terminating the entire transfer.
Interactive file list:
· TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix the problem and recopy only problem files.
· TeraCopy can completely replace Explorer copy and move functions, allowing you work with files as usual.
· Full Unicode support.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added: 'Remove other' to remove non-selected files from the list [Pro].
· Added: Better handling multiple copy processes.
· Added: Multiple retries to delete source files and folders after moving.
· Added: Tray notification when adding files to the existing process.
· Fixed: Problem with some non-latin filenames.
· Fixed: Copied files now have a correct creation time.
· Added: WaitBeforeMinimize option to ini file.