Softpedia Editor's Review for Menu Creator
Menu Creator & Menu Extended (+Menu Designer) create dream menu
Written by Sorin Cirneala on October 12th, 2012
Menu Creator is a development tool that allows you to create menus with enhanced functions for Visual Basic programs. The package includes the required libraries and a sample application for testing the available options.
The add-in is designed for Visual Basic 6 and intends to help you create a complex menu without writing a line of code. The entire process is carried out in the Menu Creator window which allows you to add new menu items, to change icons and to save menu templates in order to be used for other projects.
The visual menu editor enables you to rearrange menu items and to create a complex structure quickly and efficiently. You only need to write the name of each item in order to add it to the menu. Even the name of the file can be instantly filled based on the caption of a menu item.
This tool can improve your productivity by reloading the last session or by creating a list of favorite projects that can be loaded with one mouse click. The capture menu feature enables you to load a menu structure from an external VB file or directly from an executable file.
In order to embed the menu in your application you need to generate the code for the menu options and to save them to a DLL file. This operation is performed by the Menu Creator add-in by simply pushing a button.
The package also includes the MenuExtended library that allows you to change the aspect of the menu items. It provides you with multiple menu styles that can be easily applied to your project and customized.
The Menu Creator add-in intends to help you create and improve the aspect of a very important element of every application. Since every app needs a nicely designed and easy to use menu, you should try it when creating a new program in Visual Basic.
Menu Creator description
Here are some key features of "Menu Creator":
· Support for menu array: when you start or set the item as a menu array, all next item will be indexed automatically.
· Shortcut property: you can read and set shortcuts for each menu item
More languages: You may use Menu Creator in your language. Choose your preferred language from Italian, English , French, Deutsch, ecc:
· If there not your language you can add it, is it a simple text file (LNG).
· Easy and quick: you don't have to write any line of code! You do not believe to us ? Try it
· Fully manage menu items: with the arrow buttons, you can move a item as you want (up, down, left, right) to create your menu structure
· AutoNaming (optional): build automatically the Name property based on Caption property and position of the item. The figure show that the item New (selected) and that the Name property is mnuFileNew (New is part of File menu)
Templates: you can save, and reload later, your menu structures, so you don't have to re-create each time your menu. You can load a saved menu structure, modify and re-save with another file name:
· You can set the templates folder you prefer; default is the Visual Basic Templates folder (normally C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioVB98Templates).
· Automatic building of menu and code: once you have created your menu with Menu Creator simply click on Make Menu button and in your project will be build the menu (based on the structure you have set) and all the need code will be automatically added (declarations, functions call, etc.) and a refer to MenuExtended.dll. Remeber: the core of all is MenuExtended, not Menu Creator
· Automatic reloading last menu session (optional): You can reload automatically the last menu you have worked on during the last Menu Creator session. Menu Creator asks first whether to load it
Capture menu from external executable or library file (EXE/DLL) and from external VB Forms (FRM):
· Is it quickly and easy to capture menu from any EXE/DLL or RM file, then you can modify the whole menu structure, last add or update the menu in your form.
· Now you have access to ALL item properties: you can change or set Checked, Enabled, Visible and WindowList properties (just like the standard menu editor)
· Favorites menu: you can save your favorites menu structure, and reload them with a simple click
Choose to make 'normal' or enhanced menu:
· Now you can use MC to make and manage normal menu (without image, description, etc.) this mean that you haven't to use MenuExtended.dll for subclassing menu.
· The new option Prepare project for MenuExtended.dll (menu Options) allow you to choose to make a normal VB menu, or a enhanced menu for MenuExtended
· Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The problem resolved on version 0.7.3 some times don't works: if more than a item already exists with same Name property MenuCreator is star to a loop. Now, error will trapped, but Menu Creator continue processing.