Softpedia Editor's Review for RLPack Basic Edition
An executable file compressor with protection options
Written by Elena Opris on April 1st, 2013
RLPack is a tiny application which compresses executable files but still allows you to run them under normal conditions. Its features can be seamlessly figured out.
This is a portable program, so RLPack does not come with a setup kit. It means that you can save it to a USB flash drive or any other similar storage unit, and directly run the executable file on any computer, as long as the rest of the files are placed in the same root.
Furthermore, the Windows Registry is not updated with new entries, and no leftover files can be found on the hard drive after removing the program. Also, you can always have RLPack with you whenever you're on the move.
The interface of the app is represented by a standard window and a simple-to-follow layout. Loading an executable file into the workspace can be done via either the file browser or "drag and drop" method.
RLPack allows you to strip the TLS, relocations, the export table and unimportant resources, as well as to use the Windows DLL loader and preserve the overlay. In addition, you can specify the number of raw resources and compression method, as well as make RLPack create backups to keep the original files.
The program runs on a pretty low amount of CPU and system memory, has a good response time, contains a help file and quickly finishes a task. RLPack did not cause us any problems throughout our testing, such as hanging, crashing or displaying error notifications. However, the tool has not been updated for a pretty long while. Nonetheless, RLPack can be handled by users of any experience level for the simple task of compressing executable files.
RLPack Basic Edition description
Here are some key features of "RLPack Basic Edition":
· Packs sections, resources, export and import table (ratio up to 70%)
· Stripping relocations, TLS and export table
· Preserves extra overlay data appended to file
· Checking file integrity via custom CRC implementation
· AntiDebugging, AntiDumping, Import Redirection protections
· Code splicing, Import Elimination, OEP conversion to Virtual Machine
· Protection from generic unpackers and OEP finders
· Fake packer detection by inserting fake signatures
· Download missing .dll files from your web site
· Executable password protection
· Thead Local Storage emulation
· Enforce memory protection
· Sign packed file(s)
· Mutex checking
· Basic edition is a working version but some features are reserved for the shareware Full edition
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed issue with icon packing on some files
· Fixed issue with packing DLL files with no EP
· Fixed issue with resource packing on some non standard files
· Improved resource compression and main icon determination
· Improved compression ratio by optimizing resource stripping
· Added support loading all dependent modules statically with Windows loader
· Added command line packing support
· Updated help system