Softpedia Editor's Review for Online Armor Free
Protects against Spyware, Malware, Trojans and Phishing attacks
Written by Elena Opris on December 11th, 2012
Online Armor is a security system that protects your computer against spyware, malware, Trojans and phishing attacks.
The first time you initiate the program, you are required to set up its configuration. You can enable Online Armor to automatically trust everything found by the wizard on your computer (so, you do not have to confirm any action).
Otherwise, it can guide you through a step-by-step wizard at the end of which you can set your own preferences. The last option should be mainly used by power users.
In the Safety Check wizard, Online Armor searches for updates, scans for known dangerous processes, explores the Start menu and system files, and checks autorun items.
Once you have gone through the remaining steps, you are required to restart the computer. The user interface of the program is simple and straightforward. On the right side you can select Status, Firewall, Domains, Programs, Autoruns, Anti-Keylogger, Hosts file, History and Options.
You can allow or block access to various programs in the firewall settings, as well as edit ports, view a list of available networks, add domains and set their status (trusted, blocked, protected), but also control program behavior (e.g. make them run safer than normal).
Plus, you can check autorun items (allow or block them), view a list of available keyloggers and decide whether you trust them or not, monitor changes made to the Hosts file, view a history list of alerts and actions you took in Online Armor, and configure options, of course.
In Options, you can enable debug mode, change interface language and update auto-check, enable logging and configure its default level, add items to the exclusions list, and others.
The bottom line is that Online Armor offers a great level of protection for your computer, making it extremely hard for malware to infect the working environment.
Online Armor Free description
Here are some key features of "Online Armor Free":
· Online Armor protects your computer from external attack and stops private data leaking from your computer. For everyday users, Online Armor firewall is almost silent and very, very easy to use. Advanced users will be pleased by the powerful options available in "Advanced Mode".
· Puts you in control of your computer. No program can run unless you give it permission to do so, and you can always change your mind later. For example, if you decide to let a program run which then starts behaving badly, you can "Deny" it permission to run - and optionally delete any files it created. Again, we maintain a list of safe/dangerous programs to make it easier for you to decide what to trust.
· Online Armor filters your incoming email. If Online Armor detects a suspect email, it will alert you (and if you run Online Armor AV+ emails will also be scanned for viruses)
Browser settings monitoring:
· Online Armor protects you from unauthorized modification of your web browser settings by external programs.
· Tall Emu maintains a central list of items which are safe or not - so you will only be alerted in the event an unknown or dangerous items are detected. The trust/untrust lists are constantly updated and distributed among Online Armor users via the automatic automatic updates.
· Online Armor monitors the system and alerts you when programs are set to automatically start - and lets you control them.
· At least 1 GB of RAM
· 20 MB hard disk space
· Internet access
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Uninstallers hang – fixed
· Blocking pending connection requests if a network-related popup is active – fixed
· Italian translation – updated