Softpedia Editor's Review for Parental Filter
Parental Filter blocks pornographics websites
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 18th, 2012
If you're looking for a basic parental control tool to block access to a number of websites and don't want to waste time with complicated configuration options, have a look at Parental Filter.
Especially designed to serve this purpose, Parental Filter has only a few minimal tools, which makes everything incredibly easy to use even for the very beginners.
The interface is a mess and although you simply don't know where to start after launching the app for the first time, it takes just a few minutes to figure out how to use the program.
Parental Filter has dedicated features to block access to the user-defined websites, with very simple editing tools to add or remove some of the entries in a second.
You can thus see the so-called “allowlist” or the “banlist” straight from the main window, and adding a new website is as easy as typing its address.
The configuration options are again basic and besides the fact that it lets you hide and show the application with the F keys on your keyboard, it also gives you the power to lock the program with a password and thus prevent other users from closing it.
Parental Filter is supposed to run all the time, so it places an icon in the Windows System Tray, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it slows down the operating system. It doesn't and the app doesn't have any issue to run on Windows 7 as well, without even asking for administrator privileges.
As a conclusion, Parental Filter is indeed a handy tool, but a refreshed look and more customization options are a must have.
Parental Filter description
Here are some key features of "Parental Filter":
· Allowlist allows you to block all websites and then specify those websites that are allowed. Banlist blocking, block websites using the big blacklist provided
· You can add and remove websites
· Exact match verified database, so only sites that are pornograhy are blocked
· Free definition updates
· Embedded mode allows you to completely hide Parental Filter and forget about it
· Set Passwords to protect the configuration
· Enhanced language support for languages other than English such as Chinese type writing
· Very fast low overhead monitoring with speeds approximating 0.30us to ascertain decision
· Small package with no updating required