Softpedia Editor's Review for DoubleKiller
An easy-to-use application for finding and removing duplicate files
Written by Elena Opris on May 25th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for DoubleKiller
DoubleKiller is a lightweight and portable utility that locates duplicate files on your computer to remove them, in order to clear up space on your hard drive. It addresses all types of users, regardless of their skill level.
Since the app does not come with a setup pack, you can simply drop the executable file on any spot on the hard drive and run it immediately.
Alternatively, you can store DoubleKiller on a USB flash drive or similar storage unit, and run it on any computer. This way, you can keep the utility in your pocket wherever you go.
The interface of the tool does not excel in the visual department, but its options should be simple to figure out.
In order to run a scanning procedure, all you have to do is point out the target directory. Results show the name, path, size, date and CRC32 signature for each file.
Plenty of configuration settings are available for this tool. For example, you can make the app identify duplicates based on their names, sizes, dates or CRC32 checksums. In addition, you can include custom subdirectories, create an inclusion or exclusion list of file masks, as well as customize file attributes (e.g. read-only, archive). Settings can be saved to the Registry for further use.
DoubleKiller includes a help file and runs on a low-to-moderate quantity of CPU and system memory, so it shouldn't affect the computer's performance. It has a good response time and may take a while to complete a scan job, depending on your hard drive's size and selected options.
We have not encountered any problems throughout our tests, since the utility did not hang, crash or pop up error dialogs. Aside from the fact that the interface needs some major improvements in the visual department, the program should satisfy all users. We must also take into account the fact that DoubleKiller has not been updated for a long time.
Here are some key features of "DoubleKiller":
· Scans directories, complete drives or computers in your Network Neighborhood for duplicate files
· Freely combinable comparison criteria (file name, size, date and content)
· You can exclude files based on their name, file type, attributes or size
· Presents a list of all identical files so you can decide which ones to remove
· Deletes the files you chose or moves them to another directory
· Allows to export the result list to a text file
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· minor user interface improvements
· fixed problems with deleting files from unix file servers
· improved error handling during scans