Softpedia Editor's Review for FortiClient Standard
This software will help you protect your computer against several types of internet malware
Written by Giorgiana Arghire on May 9th, 2013
Out of the numerous security solution available on the software market, all users are bound to find the one that suits their needs the best. For instance, those looking for parental control functions in addition to anti-malware protection might benefit from the functions of FortiClient Standard.
The utility installs without any issues or complicated settings on the user’s part, and the security application is up and running within minutes. The main window is neatly organized so that each module can be accessed even by novices.
The Antivirus component displays the total number of quarantined threats and the upcoming schedule scan time, while also enabling users to create an exclusion list of all the items that should be skipped during malware scanning.
The Parental Control module comes in handy to tutors and adults who want to make sure children and adolescents do not access inappropriate websites by restricting these webapges. Also, the Safe Search filter of various search engines can be activates, along with an education filter for YouTube.
In addition, FortiClient Standard includes a so-called Application Firewall that can block all programs chosen by the user and added to a list. The VPN module can be of use to those who want to send or receive files within a secure private network, so that no unauthorized third-party can access the data.
Another component of the software utility is the Vulnerability Scanner which analyzes the host computer and generates a report with all the vulnerable areas that should be fixed by tech-savvy users as soon as possible so as to ensure malicious threats cannot infect the PC.
Overall, FortiClient Standard can help parents restrict their kids’ access to the Internet while also benefitting from powerful antivirus and firewall protection. Considering the app comes without a price tag, it is worth giving it a try and test its functions.
FortiClient Standard description
Here are some key features of "FortiClient Standard":
· Antivirus & Antispyware - Provides comprehensive protection against viruses, spyware, keyloggers, trojans, adware and greyware for Windows-based laptops desktops and smartphones. Symbian OS based smartphone support is also available.
· Secure IPsec VPN - Empowers Windows based mobile laptops, desktops and smartphones with the capability to access enterprise applications securely with DES / 3DES encryption.
· Powerful Personal Firewall - Monitors network traffic and enforces the appropriate application access control on Windows based laptops, desktops, smartphones and Symbian-based smartphones.
· Advanced Antispam - Built in antispam that incorporates into MS Outlook for Windows based desktop and laptops
· Web Content Filtering - Provides real-time web content access enforcement to ensure compliance is available for Windows-based laptops and desktops.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
Antivirus and Antimalware:
· Protection against the latest virus, grayware (adware/riskware) threats.
· Client antivirus is free, and auto updates every three hours.
· Block, allow, and monitor applications that send traffic to the network.
· Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
· Diagnostic Tool
· Enhancements to the FortiClient dashboard
Endpoint Management using FortiGate, including:
· Automatic endpoint registration. User initiated endpoint registration.
· Deploy VPN (IPsec/SSL) configuration
· Enable/disable Antivirus real-time protection.
· Manage/deploy Web Filtering and Application Firewall configuration.
· Localization support
Parental Control/Web Filter:
· Block, allow, warn, and monitor web traffic based on category.
Remote Access (IPsec and SSL VPN):
· Secure Virtual Private Network access to your network.
· Supports multiple gateways for a single tunnel.
· Rootkit detection and removal
· Single Sign-On Mobility Agent support with FortiAuthenticator/...