Softpedia Editor's Review for WinLock Professional
A powerful security solution
Written by Elena Opris on March 24th, 2013
WinLock Professional is a software security solution designed to help you protect your computer against unauthorized use. This type of tool is strongly recommended if you share your computer with multiple individuals.
The interface of the application is clean and pretty intuitive. So, you can enable the protection mode by specifying a password, as well as make WinLock Professional use separate security settings for each user account.
The program can be set to automatically turn on the protection status on system startup, enable a shutdown Windows menu and save the password in the Settings profile. But you can also enable system monitoring, hide the system tray icon, as well as select the priority level and interface language.
Furthermore, you can set up notifications, enable logging and customize options (e.g. file created or changed, media removed), enable remote administration, as well as alter system settings (e.g. disable Registry Editor and computer lockdown, hide the File menu in Windows Explorer, block the Windows key).
Other features of WinLock Professional allow you to specify restrictions for Internet Explorer (e.g. disable the New command, printing and the History bar), create a list of trusted or restricted sites and executables, as well as enable a timer.
WinLock Professional requires a moderate quantity of system memory and CPU, has a good response time and contains user documentation. No error dialogs have been shown in our testing and WinLock Professional did not hang or crash; we have not come across any issues. To sum it up, WinLock Professional is a very good choice for limiting the access to your computer.
WinLock Professional description
Here are some key features of "WinLock Professional":
· Apply different restrictions separately to each user account. Now you can create different protection schemes for each user account in a multiple-user environment. For each user, WinLock will activate only the selected restrictions. Moreover, it is possible to suspend all forms of WinLock protection for the specified user.
· Internet-related restrictions. WinLock Professional provides you with a group of selected Internet Explorer policies and enhanced content filtration suited to control and protect Internet access.
· Website content filtration. The Professional edition not only checks the address of the site, but also scans the entire page, including the hidden meta-tags for any prohibited words. For example, if you define "sex" as a keyword, any Web site contains this word will be prohibited. This makes possible to prohibit access to questionable Web sites - notably for public-access computers in schools and libraries.
· Built-in file encryptor. You are likely to have confidential documents on your computer, which you may want to encrypt. LockBox Wizard will help you to protect any information. It uses a very strong Blowfish crypto-algorithm. Protected files cannot be decrypted without the correct password.
· At least 4 MB of free space on the hard disk.
· Reasonable amount of RAM.
· 30 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Now handles user switching more gracefully.
· Inplace items editing.
· Chinese Simplified translation.
· Minor fixes.