Softpedia Editor's Review for Cobian Backup
A multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 18th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Cobian Backup
Cobian Backup is a reliable software solution designed to back up your files either on the local computer or onto another system in the network.
Of course, just as expected, there are multiple backup modes supports, including full, differential, incremental and dummy, with dedicated settings for each of them.
But first, a few words on the interface. Although the application is supposed to address such an important task, Cobian Backup is pretty intuitive and sports a well-organized look.
It shows all details of a new task straight in the main window, but also offers access to all of its features with just a single click. Setting up a new task is very easy; the app enables you to configure the files or folders you wish to backup, as well as to enable Volume Shadow Copy, use file attribute logic or create separate backups using timestamps.
Of course, you have to specify the source and the destination, and, if you wish, enable the scheduler and provide the days of the week, date and time to perform the operation.
You also have the option to use archives and choose 7z or ZIP compression, along with password protection, encryption and split settings. Last but not least, you can configure file exclusions and other tasks to be performed before the backup begins.
Cobian Backup boasts a very rich settings menu, with configuration options regarding the engine, compression, functionality, visuals and FTP. In addition, the application supports remote backup and comes with a dedicated tool to remove old backups and to show the backup history.
As a conclusion, Cobian Backup is one of the best software solutions when it comes to backing up data and one of the few that provide so many features inside such a friendly environment.
Cobian Backup description
Here are some key features of "Cobian Backup":
· Zip64 for zip files larger than 2 GB
· Strong encryption: Supported methods are Blowfish (128 bit), Rijndael (128 bit) and DES (64 bit)
· An open plugin architecture to allow the program's enhancement
· 3 different methods to copy files, if the main method fails, 2 more methods will be used.
· The interprocess communication can be done using TCP/IP. This allows a better communication between the program parts AND the program can be administrated from another machine anywhere in the world.
· Backup to multiple destinations
· A backup history is displayed
· Zip files can now be split
· Remote backup
· Automatically remove old backups
· The application can be used as a command line utility. No separate command line program is needed
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Russian language updated
· Ucranian translation added
· German language added
· Portuguese-BR files updated
· Czech help file updated