Softpedia Editor's Review for Microsoft RichCopy
Allows you to copy several files in parallel and pause/resume copy operations at any time
Written by Elena Opris on October 29th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Microsoft RichCopy
Microsoft RichCopy is a file management tool, designed to help you copy multiple files at the same time, in order to increase the overall speed of the process.
The installation is very simple and quick, while the user interface is pretty simplistic and intuitive for the user (except when you go to Options and view more advanced commands).
Select the source path of the files you wish to copy, as well as the destination output, and then start the copying procedure.
RichCopy makes a note of the time copying has started, in a log file, where you can also view any errors that may have been encountered (for example, RichCopy can't access a certain file if it is being used by another process).
We tested this software on Windows 7. Indeed, batch copying is finally a breeze among Microsoft fans, but when it comes to speed, Windows 7 is still faster in the copying department. RichCopy probably works best on older Windows versions.
Nevertheless, this program comes with a lot of useful options that you can fully take advantage of. For example, you can choose for the application to automatically ignore read-only flags, so you can safely walk away from your computer and know the copying is complete when you return.
Other options include purging, moving, verifying, or consolidating multiple sources. Plus, you can also copy files on / to FTP locations. Besides, RichCopy uses less CPU and memory resources than Explorer.
All in all, if you want a great alternative to simultaneously copy several files, then take a look at Microsoft RichCopy.
Microsoft RichCopy description
Here are some key features of "Microsoft RichCopy":
Improved copy performance:
· RichCopy version 2.0 ~ 3.5 are already much faster than any other copy tools, but RichCopy version 4.0 is faster than its early versions. RichCopy version 4.0 can cover all areas where file and directories need to be copied over the network with true based performance and features.
Profile based copy option:
· Earlier versions support only single state copy options. User had to change the configuration when network condition is very different from previous. RichCopy version 4.0 now supports profiled based copy options. User can create profile with any name and store different setting to each profile. User can easily switch configuration by choosing profile from drop down list box.
· RichCopy version 4.0 now supports multiple sources while earlier versions and other copy tools support only one to one coy operation. For example, you do not need to run multiple copy process when source directory is different. Now you just need to specified multiple sources that need to be copied to destination directory.
Increased supported copy threads:
· Most of tools support up to 64 per thread. This limitation comes from known WIN32 thread management API. RichCopy version 4.0 does not have such limitation with sufficient original thread management mechanism as long as system resource allows. For example, you could run more than 256 threads.
Detail file / directory filtering:
· Earlier version could not filter files and directory with date/time such as creation date/time, last write date/time and last access date/time. RichCopy version 4.0 can filter files and directories with any date/time stamp with 'earlier" and 'later' conditions and 'copy' and 'not to copy' conditions.
Full command line support:
· All features available on GUI are also available from command option line. Also Option property displays command line parameters of current configuration, thus user can generate command parameters by setting copy options on property dialog.
Optimized copy method:
· These days, RichCopy is used against varied storage devices. RichCopy now supports following options: System cache v.s. Self-cache for device direct access / Multiple access v.s. Serialized access for not optimized and slow device