Softpedia Editor's Review for Partition Resizer
Easily resize and move partitions without data loss
Written by Andreea Matei on January 22nd, 2013
Partition Resizer is a handy and reliable utility that aims to assist you in resizing and moving partitions, without damaging your private data. If this isn’t reason enough to take it for a spin, the fact that it can handle disks of up to 2TB of data sure is.
Resizing partitions is no longer a challenge these days. The disk partitioning category includes all kinds of applications, from command line to GUI-based software, some of them free, some at steep prices, all of them aiming to be user-friendly and easy-to-use. An informed decision can only be made if you try out a couple of them, but seeing as they deal with hard disks and can cause data loss, this scenario is less likely to be taken into consideration.
If you want to take our word for it, we recommend Partition Resizer as a possible candidate. There’s no way of telling if it’s the best out there, but it seemed to work just fine for us.
One aspect that needs to be mentioned is that it most certainly requires advanced computer knowledge and a fair amount of patience to discover its ins and outs. You can add to that another dose of patience for the actual resizing process, which may take a while depending on the partition’s size.
Our first recommendation is to check out the documents included in the download archive. The Readme document is a must, since it includes information regarding pre-requisites and advice on how to prepare the disks in question.
One compulsory condition is to run the application from a different partition than the one which is being resized. If you want to move or resize the boot partition, you can only do it from a bootable floppy disk.
Having been tested on several machines and on various drive types, Partition Resizer is safe to work with as long as all instructions specified in the manuals are followed strictly. In addition, it features a useful reset protection system that will resume work in case the power supply goes off.
Partition Resizer description
Here are some key features of "Partition Resizer":
· Int13 extensions support allows handling of disks up to 2TB (2048GB) of size.
· New Resizing/Moving engine with simpler inerface. Move and resize your partitions in one step
· Transparent extended partition resizing (no more confusion with extended partitions)
· Command line parameters for accessing advanced options (read-only operation etc.)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed a bug with multiple primary non-FAT partition moving
· Fixed a graphics mode problem with some Graphics cards that default to 16 pixel character height
· Fixed a problem with the 2nd option (you'll now be able to change a FAT16 partition's cluster size)
· Minor documentation update